This vegan Schnitzel is made with perfectly breaded tofu slices. Tofu is an excellent source of plant-based protein, so it’s a great vegan alternative! You can serve the schnitzel with rice, potatoes, or fries.
As you would expect from an Austrian, I have a wide variety of vegan schnitzel recipes already on the blog:
- Vegan Schnitzel made with TVP slices
- Seitan Schnitzel made with homemade seitan
- Kohlrabi Schnitzel that uses kohlrabi as the base
But now I want to show you another way of making schnitzel – with tofu!
Health Benefits of Tofu
Not only is tofu crazy versatile and such a nice blank canvas for flavor, but it also provides several health benefits. Tofu is an excellent source of plant-based protein, it is also low in saturated fat, making it a heart-healthy choice. Additionally, tofu is rich in calcium, iron, and various vitamins, making it a nutritious addition to your diet.
How to bread anything without eggs
Whoever said that you need eggs for breading, is so wrong. You can make the easiest, and best-sticking egg replacement by whisking together all-purpose flour, salt, and water. It’s as easy as that and you can bread and fry EVERYTHING with this.
After breading the tofu slices, I pan-fry them. You could also bake them in the oven but the breading will get a nicer golden color in the pan.
How to make Tofu Schnitzel
As always you will find the whole recipe with detailed measurements in the printable recipe box below but I want to give you an overview of the key ingredients and basic steps with step-by-step photos first.
You will need:
- Tofu (I use medium to firm tofu)
- For the egg replacement:
- all-purpose flour
- For the breading:
- paprika powder
- ground rosemary (I use a mortar and pestle to crush dried rosemary)
- Frying oil (rapeseed oil, canola oil, sunflower seed oil,…)
The basic steps
Serve the Tofu Schnitzel with…
More Vegan Recipes with Tofu
- Palak Tofu
- Tofu Nuggets (Popcorn Chicken Style)
- Tofu Cashew Curry
- Tofu & Rice Noodle Bowl with Peanut Sauce
- 15+ Easy and Delicious Tofu Recipes
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you enjoy this crispy Tofu Schnitzel as much as I do! Let me know if you give it a try!
- 8 oz firm tofu cut into slices
- 1 tablespoon plant-based oil e.g. canola oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground rosemary
- Cut the tofu into slices (about 1/3 inch = 1 cm).
- Whisk together the ingredients for the egg replacement in one bowl: flour, water, and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the ingredients for the tofu breading: breadcrumbs, salt, paprika powder, and ground rosemary.
- Bring a pan with oil to medium to high heat.
- Dip each tofu slice first into the egg replacement, then into the breading, then place them into the pan and pan-fry them for 4-5 minutes on each side until crispy and golden.