We all love falafel and we all love curries, so why not combine them?! This vegan Falafel Curry is a creamy dream come true!
I love falafel and I love curries, so I figured why not combine them? The result was a rich and creamy vegan Falafel Curry. And it turned out to be one of my favorite curry recipes ever!!
Whenever I make falafel, I always make a huge batch, because they freeze well and it’s not much more work to make a larger batch. Naturally, frozen falafel will turn out to be a bit drier than fresh ones, so using them in this curry is the perfect opportunity, because it makes the Falafel super soft again. Problem solved!
The base of the sauce
The sauce for this falafel curry is really easy to make and I also like to use this base for various of different curries. Add chickpeas, veggies, potatoes instead of falafel and boom… whole different curry!
You’ll only need two main ingredients for the sauce: tomato purée and coconut milk. It makes the creamiest and easiest sauce ever. I just love the combination of these two main flavors. To that we add tons of spices such as ginger powder, onion powder, curry powder, salt, and fresh ginger. Aaand we’re done.
I’ve made a huge pan of falafel curry for an Indian-inspired dinner party lately and everyone loved it! Although there have been various curries, this one has been the star of the evening :)
Once you’ve made the falafel, the curry itself isn’t any work really. It’s a super quick and easy, but awesome dish!
- In a large pot, heat one teaspoon of plant-based oil and add in the Falafel once the oil is hot.
- Fry them for about 2-3 minutes on medium-high heat and reduce the heat to low.
- Add in the tomato purée, coconut milk and spices.
- Stir and let it cook for about 8-10 minutes (while slowly turning up the heat again). This is the point where you can adjust the curry to your taste by adding more coconut milk, salt, etc...
- Peel the ginger root piece and cut it in very thin strips.
- Once the curry is hot and it has reached your desired consistency, transfer it to a bowl and top it with the ginger strips.
*If you're using other homemade or store-bought falafel for this curry they might fall apart, so add them later to the pan and handle them carefully.
**I used store-bought tomato purée (with salt, no additional herbs) for this recipe - it's often canned or in cartons, not to confuse with tomato paste which is thicker in consistency.
Serve with: The Curry is best served with some Homemade Naan and basmati rice.
Should you decide to give this vegan & gluten-free Falafel Curry a try I’d love to hear how it went! Write me a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3