This recipe is a vegan version of the Indian spinach curry, Palak Paneer, that uses tofu instead of the typical Indian cheese ‘paneer’: Palak Tofu. It’s rich, creamy and delicious!
Palak Paneer was always my #1 choice in Indian restaurants (before I went vegan, obviously). It’s a creamy spinach curry (Palak) with the traditional Indian cheese (Paneer).
To make this dish vegan, we’re using tofu instead of paneer. Firm tofu is actually consistency-wise very similar to paneer, so it’s the perfect substitution! We’re adding kala namak (Himalayan Black Salt) to the tofu to give it a similar taste. Delicious!
For this dish, we’re going to use a LOT of spinach, which is rich in iron and calcium. The Palak Tofu Paneer uses 4 large handfuls of spinach, so I’d say this dish is the most delicious way of getting an iron boost.
How to make Vegan Palak Tofu
You will need:
- firm tofu
- lots (!) of spinach
- coconut milk
- kala namak (black salt; can be subbed with regular salt but use less of it)
- curry powder
- ginger powder
- garam masala
The basic steps
Serve the Palak Tofu with …
I’ve had this Palak Tofu with homemade naan and fluffy basmati rice. What a feast!
More vegan curry recipes you will love
- 15+ Amazing Vegan Curry Recipes
- Falafel Curry
- 15-Minute Chickpea Curry
- Coconut Curry with crispy tofu
- Sweet Potato Curry
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you will enjoy this vegan Palak Tofu Paneer Curry as much as I did! Let me know if you give it a try!
And don’t forget to rate the recipe if you like it, this helps other users figure out if it is worth a try!
Vegan Palak Tofu Paneer
- 12 oz firm tofu
- 2 teaspoons canola oil (or any other neutral plant-based oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon kala namak
- Cut the tofu in cubes. Bring a large pan to high heat, add the oil, cubed tofu, curry powder, and kala namak. Give it a stir. Let it cook until the tofu is golden and with slightly crispy edges. Set aside the tofu in a bowl.
- In the same large pan, add the spinach and cook it until it wilted (you might have to work in 2 batches because it's a lot of spinach). Then reduce the heat and add the coconut milk, ginger powder, salt, and garam masala.
- Use a handheld blender to blend the spinach curry.
- Add the chopped tomato to the curry and let it cook (bring up the heat again) for another 3-4 minutes until hot and until the tomatoes are soft.
- Then add the tofu paneer to the spinach curry, give it a quick stir, and it's ready to serve! Basmati rice and homemade naan are THE perfect side dishes!