This recipe is a vegan version of the Indian spinach curry, Palak Paneer, that uses tofu instead of the typical Indian cheese paneer: Palak Tofu. It’s rich, creamy and delicious!
I loved eating Palak Paneer at Indian Restaurants, because of the delicious and creamy spinach curry. But I stopped eating it because of the Paneer, which is a traditional Indian cheese. I don’t need that! I can make my own Palak Paneer, a vegan Palak Paneer. Firm tofu is actually consistency-wise very similar to Paneer, so it’s the perfect substitution!
Spinach is rich in iron and calcium. The Palak Tofu uses 3 cups of spinach, so I’d say this dish is the most delicious way of getting an iron boost.
Serve the Palak Tofu with …
I’ve had this Palak Tofu with homemade Naan and fluffy Basmati Rice. The combination was soooo good.
- 3 cups spinach fresh
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- 6 oz firm tofu
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kala namak
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 inch piece ginger root
- 1/4 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- 1/4 cup tomato purée*
- salt to taste
- Place the cashews in a bowl and pour 1/2 cup of hot water over them. Let them sit for about half an hour to soften them. Pour the cashews along with the water in a blender and blend as smooth as possible.
- Wash the spinach and add it into the blender along with the coconut water. Blend again. You can blend until the spinach is completely fine, or you can leave some spinach pieces in there.
- Cut the tofu in cubes. Heat a large pan with 2 teaspoons of canola oil.
- When hot, place the tofu in the pan and season with the kala namak, curry powder, paprika powder & ginger powder. Sear the tofu for about 5 minutes.
- Peel and mince the ginger root.
- Add the ginger (minus a few pieces for topping later) in the pan along with the tofu.
- After like 2-3 minutes, pour the spinach-sauce over the tofu.
- Add in the coconut milk and tomato purée.
- Let it cook for about 15-20 minutes and add salt to taste.
- Once the curry thickened, it's ready to serve. Add thinly cut strips of ginger on top.
Estimated Nutrition Info
Did you make this vegan Palak Tofu? Tag @elephantasticvegan on instagram and use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan. Don’t forget to subscribe to the Elephantastic Vegan Newsletter to see Reader Remake Features!