This Tofu Cashew Curry is the perfect veggie-packed comfort food! We are using cashews for the base of the creamy sauce and adding lots of broccoli, tofu, and carrots.
I will never, ever get bored of curries. There are just too many possibilities!
I just love the combination of broccoli, tofu, and red curry paste in curries. Usually, I use coconut milk for my curries (like this Vegan Coconut Curry with Crispy Tofu) but lately, I’ve been experimenting a lot with cashews as a base and I’m loving it!
How to make Tofu Cashew Curry
You will need:
- For the cashew sauce:
- soaked cashews
- lemon juice
- red curry paste
- For the tofu:
- firm tofu
- all-purpose flour (or if you want to keep it gluten-free, use cornstarch)
- curry powder
- veggies & stuff:
- plant-based oil
Of course, you can mix and match the veggies! For variations, use cauliflower instead of broccoli. Green curry paste instead of the red one. You see how this works. Anything works!
The basic steps
More vegan recipes you will enjoy:
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you will enjoy this Tofu Cashew Curry as much as I did! Let me know if you give it a try!
And don’t forget to rate the recipe if you like it, this helps other users figure out if it is worth a try!
Tofu Cashew Curry
Ingredients for the cashew sauce
- 1 cup cashews soaked overnight, then rinsed and drained
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste (you can start with a smaller amount of curry paste and add more until you reach your preferred spiciness level)
Ingredients for the tofu
- 8 oz firm tofu
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour or cornstarch for a gf variation
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons plant-based oil
Ingredients for the curry
- 1 white onion cubed
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 carrot sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- salt to taste
- For the cashew sauce: Add the soaked, rinsed & drained cashews, lemon juice, salt, water, and red curry paste into your blender. Blend until smooth.
- For the crispy tofu: Cut the tofu in cubes. Add the all-purpose flour, curry powder, and salt in a bowl. Add the tofu to the bowl and toss carefully until all the tofu cubes are coated. Bring a large pan with oil to high heat, toss in the tofu. Let it cook on each side until browned and crispy. Remove the tofu from the pan and set aside.
- In the large pan over medium to high heat, cook the cubed onion until soft, then remove it from the pan and set aside.
- Then add the broccoli and carrot slices into the pan, add about 1/4 cup of water and let the veggies cook until tender.
- Now it's time to combine everything. Add the onions back into the pan to the broccoli and carrots. Reduce the heat and pour in the cashew sauce, if it thickens up too much you can always add more water to thin it out. Heat it up until everything is warm. Add salt to taste and the lastly, the crispy tofu.
- Serve the Tofu Cashew Curry with basmati rice and enjoy!