Looking for a dairy-free and egg-free pancake recipe? Then you’ll love these vegan Banana Bread Pancakes with Chocolate Chunks! And you’ll never have to decide between banana bread and pancakes again!
Whenever I have very ripe bananas lying around, the first thought that comes to mind is: ‘Do I have enough bananas in the freezer for nice cream?’ Who am I kidding, I always do. Then I think: ‘I have to make banana bread with these overripe bananas!’ But this time, I really, really was in the mood for pancakes. So I made banana bread pancakes which turned out AMAZING.
Look at the fluffy and puffy pancakes! These are the best proof that you don’t need any weird egg-replacement for making vegan pancakes. I just added a bit more baking powder and it does the trick to make them perfectly fluffy.
These pancakes are made without white sugar (apart from the sugar in the chocolate chips – yes, I added chocolate chips – because why not :D ). I’ve only used maple syrup, the bananas and the chocolate chips for sweetness, yet they’re sweet enough to taste almost too dessert-y for breakfast. almost. I said almost. They are still perfectly acceptable for breakfast.
As for the plant-based milk, I used unsweetened rice milk because that is what I had at home, but any vegan milk will work. Almond milk, hemp milk, oat milk, hazelnut milk, cashew milk, lite coconut milk… you can use anything you want.
I’ve topped my pancake stack with a few banana slices, more maple syrup (duh!) and hazelnut meal which adds a nice crunch. I love hazelnut meal. That’s practically just ground hazelnuts (so you can easily chop your own hazelnuts when you don’t have hazelnut meal at home) but they add such a fancy look!
Next time you have overripe bananas, think about these pancakes and make them for you and your loved ones! Because everyone deserves fluffy Banana Bread Pancakes with Chocolate Chunks every once in a while. :)
How to make vegan Banana Bread Pancakes – Step by Step photos
Step 1: Mash a ripe banana
Step 2: Add plant-based milk, maple syrup, and coconut oil. Whisk.
Step 3: Add flour, baking powder, and hazelnut meal. Whisk.
Step 4: Add chocolate chunks. Fold in.
Step 5: Brush/spray a pan with coconut oil. Use an ice cream scoop to add the pancake batter to the pan (over low to medium heat). Do you see the bubbles in the middle and the corners that have set? It’s time to…
Step 6: Flip! Let the pancake cook on the other side until golden. Repeat until you’ve used up the pancake batter.
Step 7: Stack the pancakes. Top with banana slices and hazelnut meal and drizzle with maple syrup.
Step 8: Enjoy! :)
What can I do if my pancakes are raw inside?
If your pancakes are golden brown on the outside but not cooked all the way through, reduce the heat! That way they have more time to cook properly.
What can I do if my pancakes aren’t fluffy?
Add more baking powder! This will make them fluffier. Mashed bananas + baking powder = are a good recipe for fluffiness! :)
My pancake batter is spreading too much?!
My pancake batter isn’t spreading enough?!
No worries, you can easily adjust the batter! If the batter is spreading too much in the pan, whisk more flour into the batter. If your pancake batter isn’t spreading enough, add a bit more plant-based milk!
Can I make these pancakes without oil?
Yes, the pancakes use very little oil to begin with, so you can easily omit it but they will look different on the outside because I’ve been spraying/brushing the pan with oil.
Vegan Banana Bread Pancakes with Chocolate Chunks
- 1 very ripe banana and a few slices for garnish
- 3/4 cup unsweetened plant-based milk e.g. rice milk
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup and more for drizzling on top
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon hazelnut meal and more for garnish
- 1/4 cup chocolate chunks or chocolate chips
- In a bowl, mash the peeled banana and add the plant-based milk, maple syrup, and coconut oil. Give it a quick whisk.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and hazelnut meal to the wet ingredients. Whisk until incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Spray a flat pan or griddle with oil and heat it up to medium to low heat. Add an ice cream scoop or small ladle of pancake batter*. Let it cook until the middle becomes bubbly and the corners set, then flip with a spatula. Let it cook on the other side until done. Repeat for all the pancakes. You should be able to get 5-6 pancakes out of the batter.
- Stack the pancakes, top with banana slices, drizzle with maple syrup and sprinkle with hazelnut meal. Enjoy!
Estimated Nutrition Info
Did you make these vegan Banana Bread Pancakes? Tag @elephantasticvegan on Instagram and use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan. Don’t forget to subscribe to the Elephantastic Vegan Newsletter to see Reader Remake Features!