This is a recipe for an easy and quick homemade vegan Cheese Sauce. Give this Nooch Cheese Sauce with Nutritional Yeast Flakes a try because it’s perfect for lasagne, pizza, mac & cheese or as a dip for tortilla chips!
This is a recipe for a basic Nooch Cheese Sauce. Nooch is short for nutritional yeast and is often used by vegans because of it’s super cheesy taste. Nutritional yeast is something that should not be missed in a vegan household. It’s one of my secret (but not so secret) ingredients for vegan cooking.
I make this cheese sauce quite often and use it mostly for lasagne, pizza, as a dip for tortilla chips or for mac and cheese. It’s really simple to make and it comes together quite fast – it will only take about 10 to 15 minutes. Then get your tortilla chips ready because it’s dipping time!
How to make Vegan Nooch Cheese Sauce – Recipe Video (1 min)
When I started following a vegan diet in 2012 supermarkets didn’t offer any vegan cheeses. So making vegan cheese at home was the only way to go. I have been making this cheese sauce countless times! Now there all kinds of vegan cheeses in the stores and I really enjoy trying these new products, however I still make this cheese sauce a lot because it’s my favorite for pizza and lasagna – I love it!
The ingredients for this cheese sauce are rather basic. You’ll need:
- coconut oil or vegan butter – both will work just fine
- all-purpose flour – makes the cheese stretchy
- spices – I used salt, paprika powder, curry powder, ground pepper, and garlic powder (but feel free to experiment with different spices!)
- nutritional yeast flakes – adds the cheesy flavor!
This is the process of making the cheese sauce!
Heat the coconut oil or butter in a small pot on low heat.
- Add the salt, pepper, paprika powder, curry powder & garlic powder.
Add in the flour and whisk.
Add nutritional yeast, whisk again until clumpy.
- Add the water and whisk on low heat for a few minutes. If it gets too thick you can add a little bit more water and whisk again.
- Use it as a dip, pour it over some lasagne or pizza or whatever you like. Enjoy!
Did you make this vegan Nooch Cheese Sauce? Tag @elephantasticvegan on instagram and use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan. Don’t forget to subscribe to the Elephantastic Vegan Newsletter to see Reader Remake Features!