You don’t have to miss out on lasagna when going vegan! This vegan Lasagna with nooch (nutritional yeast) cheese tastes like the real thing. Soy granule makes it “meaty”.
This vegan Lasagna tastes super “meaty” because of the added TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) aka Soy Granules. I use it quite a lot in the kitchen because it’s cheap, it stores forever and I really like the consistency of it.
Mhhhh…that cheese sauce! By the way, you can use the sauce on pizza or as a dip too!
In the tomato sauce you’ll find not only TVP / soy granule but also carrots, onion and garlic. The sauce is a great base – you could also use it on pizza or as a dip for tortilla chips.
A green leafy salad is my favorite side dish for lasagna. And if you’re feeling fancy, top it with fresh basil!
Vegan Lasagna with Nooch Cheese
- 12 sheets oven-ready lasagna sheets
- 2 cups soy granule (TVP)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 teaspoon salt + 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 carrots
- 3 cups tomato purée*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 portion homemade nooch cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Put the peeled carrots, onion and garlic cloves in a food processor and chop until small.
- In a large pot on medium-high heat put in the soy granule and add the water. When the soy granule is soft, add the liquid smoke, 1/4 teaspoon salt, the paprika powder and garlic powder. Give it a good mix.
- Make room in the pot, add a tablespoon of olive oil and add in the carrot-onion-garlic-mixture. When the onions are cooked through, add the tomato purée, 1 teaspoon of salt (use less if you're using pre-seasoned tomato purée) and the dried oregano. You can add more spices to taste. Let the sauce cook for about 5 minutes until hot.
- In the meanwhile, you can prepare the homemade nooch cheese.
- When the sauce is ready you can start by putting a layer of sauce in the baking dish, then add a layer of lasagne noodles, then the sauce again, repeat until the baking dish is full. The layer on the top should be sauce. Add the nutritional yeast cheese on top of it and spread it until the whole top is covered with cheese sauce.
- Bake the lasagna in the oven for about 30-45 minutes, until the cheese sauce is golden/brown.
Estimated Nutrition Info
If you give this vegan Lasagna with nooch cheese a try I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! Leave a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3