Easy recipe for a vegan Mozzarella Cheese made out of cashews. You’ll only need 7 ingredients! This Cashew Mozzarella is perfect for pizza, quesadillas, or grilled cheese sandwiches!
Lately, I’ve been experimenting a lot with vegan cheeses and this vegan Cashew Mozzarella cheese was one of my favorites! It’s quick and easy to make (if you have the cashews already soaked). Did you know that you can store cashews soaking in water in the fridge for months? It’s really useful if you plan on making vegan cheeses but you don’t know when exactly.
For this Cashew Mozzarella Cheese, you’ll only need 7 ingredients:
- tapioca starch (makes it stretchy!)
- garlic clove
- nutritional yeast (makes it cheesy)
- lemon juice
- and water
Uses for the Cashew Mozzarella …
- pizza (I like to make a minimalistic Margherita pizza with only tomato sauce, cashew mozzarella, and fresh basil (after baking), but feel free to add more toppings if you like!)
- lasagne (this cashew mozzarella makes a creamy top layer!)
- grilled cheese sandwiches (you can also make your own sandwich bread!)
- quesadillas (spread it onto 2 tortillas, add the fillings, fold the cheesy sides together, heat in a pan until crispy – yumm!)
- mozzarella sticks (cut the mozzarella in sticks, coat in breadcrumbs, and fry)
- caprese salad (sliced mozzarella, sliced tomatoes, and basil)
As you can see, I’ve made a delicious Margherita Pizza with the cashew mozzarella. It was absolutely divine! I also sprinkled crushed pepper onto the mozzarella before baking.
- 1 cup cashews (raw, unsalted, soaked see step 1)
- 4 teaspoons tapioca starch
- 2 small garlic clove
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- Soak the cashews in water overnight. The next day, rinse and drain the cashews.
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until completely smooth. You might have to scrape down the sides a few times.
- Transfer half of the cheese mixture into a saucepan and bring to medium heat. Keep stirring until it gets stretchy and comes together in a ball. Repeat for the other half. Then transfer the cheese balls into a container, let them cool off, close the lid and let it chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- You can slice it and use it on pizza, in quesadillas, in grilled cheese sandwiches or however you would use regular mozzarella!
Estimated Nutrition Info
Did you make this vegan Cashew Mozzarella? Leave a comment and please rate the recipe for other users! If you post a photo on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3