This is the perfect Vegan Tartar Sauce for all kinds of fishy foods. The sauce is made from scratch and we’re making our own vegan mayo as a base!
While most (vegan) Tartar Sauce recipes on the internet start with mayo, we’re making everything from scratch – even the mayo base. Don’t be afraid. It’s easier and faster than you would think.
The Ingredients for the vegan Tartar Sauce
- Mayo base:
- soy milk
- apple cider vinegar
- maple syrup
- kala namak (or salt)
- lime juice
- canola oil
- Tartar ingredients:
To make the mayo base, you’ll need an immersion blender. If you don’t have one, you can use a food processor or blender instead but you’ll probably have to double or even triple the recipe to get it to work (depending on the container size of your preferred kitchen appliance).
Serve the Tartar Sauce with…
- Banana Blossom Fish
- Artichoke Fish
- Chips/Fries/Wedges/Twisters – potatoes in any form or size
- Burgers (especially Vegan Fish Burgers)
Vegan Tartar Sauce
- 1/8 cup unsweetened soy milk **
- 1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon kala namak (or salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/3 cup canola oil
Additional Tartar Ingredients
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill – chopped
- 2 tablespoons pickles – finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers – drained and finely chopped
- salt to taste
- Add in an immersion blender cup unsweetened soy milk, apple cider vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, kala namak, and lime juice. Blend for 1 minute then slowly start drizzling in the canola oil while the immersion blender is running. Blend for about 3 minutes until it is thick and creamy. If it’s too liquidy, add a bit more oil and blend further.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add the dill, pickles, capers and more salt to taste. Stir to combine. Set aside in the fridge for at least half an hour. Then serve with chips or fishy foods.