What’s not to love about these Vegan Chunky Monkey pancakes?! Lots of banana, peanut butter, toasted walnuts, and chocolate! This is the perfect treat for the weekend!
My love for the combo of bananas, walnuts, chocolate, and peanut butter has manifested itself in this gorgeous stack of pancakes. I mean, look at that drizzle of maple syrup. It’s like I went to heaven and back.
These Chunky Monkey Pancakes are
- super fluffy (!)
- easy to make
- made without white sugar
- without any weird egg replacement powder (bananas and baking powder are key!)
- the perfect decadent breakfast for #PancakeSunday!
- topped with toasted walnuts, banana slices, chocolate chips and drizzled with maple syrup
As always, you can find the full recipe below.
But here’s an overview of the ingredients you’ll need:
- 1 very ripe banana
- plant-based milk (e.g. rice milk)
- maple syrup
- coconut oil
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- chocolate chunks
- peanut butter
How to make Chunky Monkey Pancakes
The pancakes are easy to make! Here are the basic steps:
- Mash the banana and add the wet ingredients. Give it a quick mix.
- Add the dry ingredients. Whisk.
- Add the Chunky Monkey specials: walnuts, chocolate chunks, and peanut butter. Fold in.
- Add the pancake batter into a pan. Let it cook on both sides until cooked through and fluffy.
- Stack. Add toppings. Eat. Delicious!
Vegan Chunky Monkey Pancakes
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup (divided) and more for drizzling on top
- 1 very ripe banana and a few slices for garnish
- 3/4 cup unsweetened plant-based milk e.g. rice milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup chocolate chunks or chocolate chips (save a few more to add on top)
- 4 tablespoons peanut butter
- Roughly chop the walnuts. Add them to a non-stick pan over medium to high heat, add 1 teaspoon of maple syrup and stir for 3-4 minutes until they are toasty and caramelized.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the peeled banana and add the plant-based milk, 1 teaspoon of maple syrup and coconut oil. Give it a quick whisk.
- Add the flour and baking powder. Whisk until incorporated. Add the peanut butter and swirl it around just a bit. Fold in the chocolate chunks and toasted walnuts. Let the batter sit for a few minutes.
- Spray a flat pan or griddle with oil and heat it up to medium to low heat. Add an ice cream scoop full of pancake batter*. Let it cook until the middle becomes bubbly and the corners set, then flip with a spatula. Let it cook on the other side until done. Repeat for all the pancakes. You should be able to get 8 smallish pancakes out of the batter.
- Stack the pancakes, top with banana slices, the rest of the toasted walnuts, chocolate chips and drizzle with maple syrup. Enjoy!
Estimated Nutrition Info
Did you make these Vegan Chunky Monkey Pancakes? Leave a comment and please rate the recipe for other users! If you post a photo on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3