Make your own battered fish filets without fish! Thanks to tofu we can make a cruelty-free, plant-based alternative – perfect for vegan Tofish and Chips!
This is a great-looking, cruelty-free alternative for Fish and Chips-lovers. The Tofish is made out of tofu filets with a sheet of nori, which adds a lovely ocean, algae taste. Then it’s coated and pan-fried in a light batter with seltzer water. You could also use beer or cider in that case.
Served with wedges (or cut the potatoes in fries to make them more like chips!) this vegan ‘fish’ makes quite an appearance. Don’t forget to add freshly squeezed lemon juice on top. Makes it only better! :)
While this Tofish doesn’t have the consistency of fish (it’s still tofu), it certainly looks like “real fish”! That’s enough reason for me to share the recipe with you!
Yasssss. Add lots of freshly squeezed lemon juice!
- 5 large potatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- Preheat the oven to 480°F / 250°C.
- Peel the potatoes. Cut them in wedges or fries. Put them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Add oil, spices and corn starch on top. Mix it well so they're all coated. Spread them around the baking tray so they don't overlap each other. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Cut the two large slices of tofu in half, so you have 4 pieces. Cut the nori into the forms of the tofu and put the nori sheet on the tofu slices. Press the nori a bit onto the tofu so that it sticks. Combine all-purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt on a deep plate. Coat the tofu filets in the flour. Then add corn starch, 1/4 teaspoon salt, turmeric to the rest of the flour on the plate. Add more flour if there isn't much left. Add seltzer water and whisk until it's a slightly thick, runny batter.
- Prepare a pan and fill enough canola oil so it covers the bottom and bring it to medium to high heat.
- Dip the tofu with the nori sheet into the batter, flip until coated on all sides and put it in the hot pan. Pan-fry for about 3-4 minutes on each side until golden.
- Once the wedges are ready, put them on a plate and stack the tofish on top. Garnish with lemon wedges and enjoy!
Did you make the vegan Tofish and Chips? Tag @elephantasticvegan on instagram and use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan. Don’t forget to subscribe to the Elephantastic Vegan Newsletter to see Reader Remake Features!