Recipe for vegan & gluten-free Mediterranean Tofu Scramble with sun-dried tomatoes and olives. Perfect for breakfast, brunch and taco fillings!
I love Tofu Scramble – it’s one of the first recipes I’ve tried as a vegan and it is still one of my favorites – especially as part of huge feast-like brunches. This is a Mediterranean version with sun-dried tomatoes and green olives. I just love this combo!
The key ingredient in this Tofu Scramble is Kala Namak.
Kala Namak. What?!
I highly recommend getting Kala Namak, which is the Himalayan Black Salt. Due to its high sulfur content, it’s perfect for all dishes that profit from an “eggy” taste and smell. And what would be a more perfect use for the salt than Tofu Scramble? I still remember the first time I made Tofu Scramble with Kala Namak years ago, I was so blown away by how delicious and egg-like it was, I’ve been making it ever since!
> You can find more info on Kala Namak and my favorite recipes using it in my Kala Namak post!
How to make Tofu Scramble
You will need:
- firm tofu
- canola oil
- curry powder
- kala namak (Himalayan Black Salt)
- olives (omit for a basic tofu scramble)
- sun-dried tomatoes preserved in oil (omit for a basic tofu scramble)
The basic steps
As always you can find the full recipe at the end of the post. But here are the basic steps to give you an idea of how easy it is to make!
Step 1: Heat canola oil in a pan. Scramble the tofu with your hands or use a fork to do so. Add it to the pan.
Step 2: Add the curry powder and kala namak.
Step 3: Stir until the spices are spread evenly throughout the scrambled tofu.
Step 4: Add the sun-dried tomatoes and olives. Heat until hot and serve.
Serve the Mediterranean Tofu Scramble with …
Tofu Scramble FAQ
Can I reheat Tofu Scramble?
Yupp! Just put it back in the pan and heat until warm. If you want to add moisture, you can add a splash of non-dairy (and unsweetened!) milk.
What to do with leftover Tofu Scramble?
I don’t have Kala Namak. Do I really need it?
I’m a HUGE fan of Kala Namak. You can totally make Tofu Scramble without Kala Namak, but it really doesn’t taste the same! You will be missing out on the typical eggy taste and smell. Kala Namak is not only amazing for tofu scramble, but also for vegan omelets made with chickpea flour. In my opinion, it’s worth buying it!
I want to make soft scrambled ‘eggs’. Any advice?
I prefer having crispy bits in the Tofu Scramble, but my boyfriend is a sucker for soft ‘tofu scramble’. You can achieve this by adding unsweetened plant-based milk or cream such as oat cream while cooking it. Or you can whisk together oil, flour, and nutritional yeast over low heat and make a cheesy roux. Add that to the tofu scramble to make it soft and delicious.
More Tofu Scramble Recipes you will enjoy
I hope you will enjoy this tofu scramble as much as I did! Let me know if you give it a try!
And don’t forget to rate the recipe if you like it, this helps other users figure out if they should give it a whirl as well.
Mediterranean Tofu Scramble
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 10 oz firm tofu
- 1/2 teaspoon kala namak (Himalayan Black Salt)
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes preserved in oil cut in strips
- 1/3 cup pitted green olives cut in rings
- fresh chives finely chopped
- Heat the canola oil in a large pan and scramble the tofu with your hands or use a fork to do so before adding it to the pan.
- Add the curry powder and kala namak. Mix well, so the tofu gets an even yellow color.
- Keep it on medium-high heat while stirring for about 5 minutes. You can add more kala namak or spices to taste.
- Add the tomatoes and olives to the tofu scramble, heat it for about 2-3 minutes until hot and serve! Top with fresh chives.