This vegan Spelt Buckwheat Sunflower Seed Bread is easy to make and tastes great! Start making your own bread now! It’s cheaper, better and you know exactly what’s in there!
I always enjoy experimenting with different flours. I had a rather short gluten-free phase where I was convinced that I needed ALL the gluten-free flours there were like corn flour, rice flour, buckwheat flour,… I didn’t like the taste of buckwheat flour too much so I added a bit of it in the bread and it’s a really great addition to the spelt flour. If you don’t have the buckwheat flour you can leave it out of course and just add more spelt flour or other flours you have laying around!
This Spelt Buckwheat Sunflower Seed Bread has – as the title may indicate – sunflower seeds in it, but additionally I added fennel seeds. Those are great for the taste! So I wouldn’t ditch them.
Baking my own bread has been something that I really enjoy. It’s good to know what exactly is in there, because even if a store-bought bread is vegan it often contains ingredients that I can’t even pronounce, needless to say I don’t have the slightest clue what it is.
If you’re having a bread baking machine or a kitchen machine – it’s even easier! I don’t like the form of my bread baking machine so I only let it do the “bread kneading and rising” program, then take it out, form my own loaf and bake it in the oven – easy as that. My program only takes 1 1/2 hour (including three rising phases), so it is rather quick to have my own bread!
It’s possible of course to knead it by hand, just keep the dough covered when rising – otherwise it will dry out. The photo above shows the bread in the unbaked status. I’ve carved it vertical & horizontal – if you don’t carve the bread it will pop up like it wants to and it doesn’t look that pretty!
Serve it with…
- spreads (basic hummus, spinach hummus, potato cheese spread)
- creamy soups (carrot ginger soup, broccoli soup)
- stews (goulash, chili con carne)
Spelt Buckwheat Sunflower Seed Bread
- 3 1/3 cups spelt flour
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
- Mix all the ingredients (first dry then add in the wet ones) and knead by hand until a soft dough forms or put all the ingredients in a bread baking machine or kitchen machine and let the machine knead the dough for you. Let it sit covered until it doubles in size (about 1-2 hours).
- Preheat the oven to 500°F/250°C.
- Cut the dough in two equal pieces and form the loaves.
- Carve the surface of the dough lightly with a knife. I made a long vertical cut and many horizontal ones.
- Let it rise again for about 20 minutes.
- Then put the bread in the oven and take it out when it looks done. (I've had mine in the oven for 25 minutes!) You can knock on the bottom of the bread and when it sounds hollow it's done!
Estimated Nutrition Info
If you give this Spelt Buckwheat Sunflower Seed Bread recipe a try I’d love to hear how it went! Write me a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3