Tofu Scramble could be considered quite a classic in a vegan’s diet. It’s the better (and cruelty-free) alternative to scrambled eggs. This recipe includes a secret ingredient to make it smell and taste like the real deal!
Tofu Scramble could be considered quite a classic in a vegan’s diet. It’s such an easy and delicious alternative to scrambled eggs. It’s my favorite savory breakfast!
I once even made this Tofu Scramble for my boyfriend’s non-vegan parents and they were surprised how good it was and how similar it tasted to real eggs! This is all thanks to the special ingredient we’re using in this dish!
Usually, I mix in whatever I have in the fridge. For this version, I’ve used mushrooms and bell pepper, which is such a good combination! But this Mediterranean Tofu Scramble is really good too!
The super-secret and essential ingredient in this recipe is Kala Namak.
What is Kala Namak?
Kala Namak, or also called Himalayan Black Salt has a high sulfur content. That’s why it’s perfect for all dishes that benefit from an “eggy” taste and smell. And what would be a better use for this salt than Tofu Scramble? I wouldn’t know!
Serve this Tofu Scramble with Mushrooms and Bell Pepper with…
Tofu Scramble FAQ
Can I reheat Tofu Scramble?
Yupp! Just put it back in the pan and heat until warm. If you want to add moisture, you can add a splash of non-dairy (and unsweetened!) milk.
What to do with leftover Tofu Scramble?
I don’t have Kala Namak. Do I really need it?
I’m a HUGE fan of Kala Namak. You can totally make Tofu Scramble without Kala Namak, but it really doesn’t taste the same! You will be missing out on the typical eggy taste and smell. Kala Namak is not only amazing for tofu scramble, but also for vegan omelets made with chickpea flour. In my opinion, it’s worth buying it!
I want to make soft scrambled ‘eggs’. Any advice?
I prefer having crispy bits in the Tofu Scramble, but my boyfriend is a sucker for soft ‘tofu scramble’. You can achieve this by adding unsweetened plant-based milk or cream such as oat cream while cooking it. Or you can whisk together oil, flour, and nutritional yeast over low heat and make a cheesy roux. Add that to the tofu scramble to make it soft and delicious.
Tofu Scramble with Mushrooms and Bell Pepper
- Heat a pan and toss in the sliced mushrooms and diced bell pepper. Add a pinch of salt to help it lose the water.
- When the mushrooms lost most of their water and the bell pepper is soft move the vegetables to one side of the pan and add 1 teaspoon of canola oil on the empty side of the pan. Scramble the tofu in there with your hands or use a fork to do so.
- Add the turmeric powder, ground pepper, and kala namak (black salt). Mix everything together, so the tofu gets an even yellow color.
- Keep it on medium to high heat while stirring for about 4-5 minutes. You can always add more kala namak or spices to taste. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Then it's ready to serve! Enjoy!
Estimated Nutrition Info
Did you make this Tofu Scramble? Tag @elephantasticvegan on instagram and use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan. Don’t forget to subscribe to the Elephantastic Vegan Newsletter to see Reader Remake Features!