Recipe for a simple and quick Vegan “Egg” & Veggie Stir-Fry. Got 15 minutes? Then you can make this delicious, better than restaurant version stir-fry!
A simple Egg & Veggie Stir-Fried Rice has been my favorite dish at Asia restaurants in my pre-vegan times and I was totally craving something like that but it had to be vegan and it had to be healthier than the usual stuff. So I made this Vegan “Egg” & Veggie Stir-Fry in only a matter of 15 minutes (when you have the rice already cooked). The dish is absolutely delicious and I’d say it’s even better than the veggie stir-fries you can get in restaurants!
I’ve topped my simple “egg” and veggie stir-fry with sriracha. Depending on the chili you’re using it’s more or less spicy. If you don’t want it spicy at all, leave out the chili and the sriracha or adjust to your own spicyness level!
For the “egg” I used scrambled tofu and seasoned it with curry powder, turmeric and kala namak (my secret ingredient for the best vegan tofu scramble ever). It’s the perfect mix-in for this stir-fry. I’ve also added shredded carrots, garlic and chili. Tossing everything in the food processor and let it get chopped it such a time saver!
For the rice, I’ve used precooked parboiled rice – it’s perfect for this dish because it isn’t sticky! I’m using parboiled rice a lot, it’s kind of my favorite rice.
Vegan "Egg" and Veggie Stir-Fry
- 2 cups cold cooked rice (I used parboiled but you can use whatever you have at hand)
- 2 carrots
- 1 block firm tofu
- 2 chilis
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon curry powder , mild
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kala namak
- salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil , divided
- sriracha sauce for topping
- 1 teaspoon spring onion , sliced
- Heat 1 teaspoon peanut oil in large pan and scramble the tofu with your hands or use a fork to do it before adding it to the pan.
- Add the curry powder, turmeric and kala namak. Mix well, so the tofu gets an even yellow color.
- Keep it on medium high heat while stirring for about 5 minutes.
- Peel the carrots & garlic, de-seed the chillis and toss them all in the a food processor - chop until fine. Add them to the hot pan to the scrambled tofu and let it cook for about 5 minutes. Add in the cold rice, give it a good mix and drizzle 1 teaspoon peanut oil on top. Heat it on medium to high heat while stirring for about 5 minutes.
- Divide onto two plates, drizzle with sriracha sauce and top with finely cut spring onions.
Should you decide to give this delicious “Egg” & Veggie Stir-Fry a try I’d love to hear how it went! Write me a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^
Natalie | Feasting on Fruit
Wednesday 28th of September 2016
This used to be my absolute favorite dish at Japanese restaurants! The veggies that came with were good too, but the real reason I was there was for the rice. And I do miss that eggy-ness in my stir-fries, so I just want to dig into this right now (even though I haven't even had breakfast lol :D)
Saturday 1st of October 2016
Same, same, same! I don't know why but I didn't even give other dishes a try. I knew exactly what I wanted, hahaa. Kala Namak is the best when it comes to eggyness :D