This vegan Seedy Bread is filled with super seed power: flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds. It’s easy to make (even when you are new to bread baking) and done in about 2 hours. The bread is super soft and delicious.
There are not many things that are better than fresh out of the oven, warm, and soft homemade bread. Well, add tons of seeds in there and I’ll be in bread heaven!
In this bread, you can find flax seeds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds, which all add a lovely crunch and amazing texture. Plus, they are good for you! These are the staple seeds I always have at home, but of course, if you’re not a fan of one of the seeds or ran out of one of them, you can simply omit them or sub them with more of the other seeds. It will still be delicious.
There’s also whole cumin in the bread, which gives it that amazing rustic flavor typical for bread!
I’ve been making this bread so many times, I actually stopped counting! It’s delicious for breakfast (how about some hummus or potato cheese spread to spread on top?), a snack (anyone else just snacking on a slice of homemade bread in between meals?), sandwiches or to serve it with creamy soups (carrot ginger soup, broccoli soup) or stews (goulash, chili con carne). I’m sure you’ll find a good use for this bread!
How to store it…
Homemade bread is always the best when it’s eaten on the same day, but you can store this bread at room temperature (ideally in a bread box or any box that is not completely airtight) for 2-3 days. I prefer to toast the bread slices if they end up too dry after a couple of days.
Vegan Seedy Bread
- 1 cup all-purpose wheat flour
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup shelled roasted pumpkin seeds - chopped
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup water - lukewarm
- Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl (you can either use a kitchen machine (if you have a dough hook for it), a bread baking machine or use your hands), stir to combine and add the olive oil and water. Knead until a smooth dough ball comes together. Adjust the dough: If it's too dry, add more water, if it's too sticky, add more flour.
- Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let the dough rise for about 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Form a loaf and carve the surface of the dough lightly with a knife.
- Then transfer the bread loaf onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Let it bake in the oven until the surface is golden. You can knock on the bottom of the bread and when it sounds hollow it's done! The baking times vary a lot, but it will be somewhere between 10 and 20 minutes depending on the form of the loaf.
Estimated Nutrition Info
Did you make this vegan Seedy Bread? Leave a comment and please rate the recipe for other users! Did you post a photo on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3