Did you know, you can make your own homemade crackers with just a couple of ingredients – and you can even make them green by adding spinach! These Spinach & Sesame Crackers are the perfect, vibrant and healthy snack! They are delicious to dip in hummus!
You can call me boring but I enjoy watching documentaries of all kinds. They have been a great influence in why I’ve adopted a vegan diet, why I started to care about animals & the planet, why I started to live a more conscious life. I always try to improve, live one day better than the last one, but when it comes to buying produce packed in plastic or non-biodegradable packaging, I’ve always felt so helpless because if I’d commit to only buying unpackaged produce I wouldn’t have a lot of choices and it would restrict me – a lot. That is why I was super excited when I heard that in my city, Linz (in Austria/Europe), there were plans for opening up a zero-waste, package-free supermarket! Can you imagine?
It’s called Holis and it’s planned to open up later this summer, so I’m super excited and I can’t wait for it! When they asked me to join their team of food bloggers to create zero-waste recipes, of course, I couldn’t resist but to say yes!
We had a food blogger meet-up for the Holis Market recently and it was so much fun! I had the chance to get to know other bloggers in my region and to learn more about the Holis Market, which was great. I didn’t want to come empty handed so I decided to make some Crackers (and Hummus, obviously!), because they are simply perfect to snack on! They are green Spinach & Sesame Crackers!
Tips for making the perfect crispy crackers
- The consistency of the dough: Flour, water, even altitude matter when making the dough, so it’s best to trust your instincts a bit when making the dough. Add water until you can make a smooth dough. If you’re not sure, it’s best to make it too wet than too dry, you can always work more flour into the dough while rolling out the crackers. A wetter dough is easier to roll out than one that is hard and crumbly.
- The cracker thickness: Roll out the dough as thin and as even as possible. This ensures even baking! If they are not thin enough, they will be rather chewy than crispy. The best way to do this is to roll out the dough on a lightly floured parchment paper, cut them, and then carefully pull the parchment paper with the crackers onto the baking sheet. It also helps if you take your time rolling out the dough..sometimes it looks like it doesn’t get any thinner. Then I walk away for one minute and come back..then the dough has relaxed a bit and can be rolled out easier and thinner.
- Rolling pin: A proper rolling pin helps a lot with rolling the dough evenly. It works best with a large rolling pin with rotating handles.
- Baking times: All ovens are different. Keep a close eye on them if you make them the first time. If a few of them start to puff up a bit, that’s a good sign! They should get slightly golden/brown. If you’re not sure, they should be crispy to the touch.
I wouldn’t say that they taste a lot like Spinach.. but they are greeeen!!
Making these Crackers is pretty similar to my other Cracker recipes, like my Whole Wheat Seed Crackers or the Cheesy Poppyseed Crackers. Instead of mixing the dry ingredients with water, you simply use a spinach-water mixture and tada: green!
The dough is super easy to work with. I’ve used all-purpose flour so that the color of the spinach is more intense.
Using a pizza cutter to make the Crackers is the simplest & fastest method – yeay to convenience!
The Spinach Crackers are absolutely delicious with simple, Homemade Hummus, but I imagine they go really well with a lot of different dips (Guacamole, White Bean Dip, …).
Spinach & Sesame Crackers
- 1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Wash the spinach and put it in a blender together with the water and blend until completely smooth.
- In a mixing bowl add in the dry ingredients (including the sesame seeds), whisk and then add in the spinach-water and olive oil. Mix and knead with your hand until it's a smooth dough. Add more flour if your dough is too sticky.
- On a lightly floured parchment paper, roll out the dough as thin and even as possible.
- Cut it with a pizza cutter length- and widthwise. Carefully pull the parchment paper with the crackers onto a baking sheet.
- Bake them in the oven for about 20 minutes (until they get crispy).
- Let them cool off a bit and enjoy!
Estimated Nutrition Info
If you give these vegan Spinach & Sesame Crackers a try I’d love to hear how it went! Write me a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3