Recipe for quick & easy, vegan gluten-free Chickpea Crackers. They’re perfect for parties or as a healthy snack. For these, you’ll need chickpea flour. They are delicious with hummus!
I’ve been asked quite a few times if the cracker recipes on the blog work with gluten-free flour. Now I’ve finally had the chance to give it a try. And it works, however, the measurements had to be adapted. I’ve made these vegan & gluten-free crackers with chickpea flour, which is often also called besan flour or garbanzo flour.
These are super delicious and crispy, however, I’d only recommend these crackers to you if you like chickpeas and the taste of chickpeas. Because the chickpea flour has a strong chickpea-taste (duh) :) I liked them a lot and I think they turned out great, they’re the perfect snack for people who do not want or can’t do gluten.
Tips for making the perfect crispy crackers
- The consistency of the dough: Flour, water, even altitude matter when making the dough, so it’s best to trust your instincts a bit when making the dough. Add water until you can make a smooth dough. If you’re not sure, it’s best to make it too wet than too dry, you can always work more flour into the dough while rolling out the crackers. A wetter dough is easier to roll out than one that is hard and crumbly.
- The cracker thickness: Roll out the dough as thin and as even as possible. This ensures even baking! If they are not thin enough, they will be rather chewy than crispy. The best way to do this is to roll out the dough on a lightly floured parchment paper, cut them, and then carefully pull the parchment paper with the crackers onto the baking sheet. It also helps if you take your time rolling out the dough..sometimes it looks like it doesn’t get any thinner. Then I walk away for one minute and come back..then the dough has relaxed a bit and can be rolled out easier and thinner.
- Rolling pin: A proper rolling pin helps a lot with rolling the dough evenly. It works best with a large rolling pin with rotating handles.
- Baking times: All ovens are different. Keep a close eye on them if you make them the first time. If a few of them start to puff up a bit, that’s a good sign! They should get slightly golden/brown. If you’re not sure, they should be crispy to the touch.
I’ve added black sesame seeds into the dough because I like my crackers to have little cute spots, but of course, you can leave those out completely or sub them with flax seeds, dried herbs, … there are so many possibilities!
Roll the dough out on a baking paper, but I’d suggest placing a second baking paper on top because the gluten-free dough is stickier than the dough that I usually use for crackers.
Cutting them with a pizza cutter is the easiest and fastest method. Cut the rolled out dough lengthwise and widthwise! Don’t worry if the pieces have different sizes, I think it looks great and gives the crackers an additional homemade touch. But make sure they all have the same thickness in order to bake them evenly.
These crackers are so easy to make and they take only about 25 minutes! Perfect for spontaneous guests or as a healthy gluten-free snack!
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- In a bowl add in the dry ingredients, mix, add in the oil and then slowly add the water until you can form a dough like in the photo. Mix and knead with your hand until it's smooth.
Between two sheets of parchment paper roll out the dough until thin and evenly.
Cut it with a pizza cutter length- and widthwise. Carefully pull the parchment paper with the crackers onto a baking sheet.
Bake them in the oven for about 10-15 minutes (until they are golden and crispy) and serve :)
Have you tried these gluten-free Chickpea Crackers? Leave me a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3