Recipe for Golden Turmeric Cracker – a delicious way to add more turmeric into your life. You’ll love to snack on these golden crisps! They are delicious with hummus!
It’s been such a long time since I’ve posted the last cracker recipe but now the cracker-family got a new member: Golden Turmeric Cracker. Let’s all welcome this vibrant addition! :)
Turmeric is all the rage right now. According to this The Huffington Post article, turmeric has the power to tame heartburn or an upset stomach, prevent heart attacks, delay diabetes, fight cancer, protect the brain and curb joint pain. Convinced? Then you’ll definitely want to try my Golden Turmeric Cracker!
Tips for making the perfect crispy crackers
- The consistency of the dough: Flour, water, even altitude matter when making the dough, so it’s best to trust your instincts a bit when making the dough. Add water until you can make a smooth dough. If you’re not sure, it’s best to make it too wet than too dry, you can always work more flour into the dough while rolling out the crackers. A wetter dough is easier to roll out than one that is hard and crumbly.
- The cracker thickness: Roll out the dough as thin and as even as possible. This ensures even baking! If they are not thin enough, they will be rather chewy than crispy. The best way to do this is to roll out the dough on a lightly floured parchment paper, cut them, and then carefully pull the parchment paper with the crackers onto the baking sheet. It also helps if you take your time rolling out the dough..sometimes it looks like it doesn’t get any thinner. Then I walk away for one minute and come back..then the dough has relaxed a bit and can be rolled out easier and thinner.
- Rolling pin: A proper rolling pin helps a lot with rolling the dough evenly. It works best with a large rolling pin with rotating handles.
- Baking times: All ovens are different. Keep a close eye on them if you make them the first time. If a few of them start to puff up a bit, that’s a good sign! They should get slightly golden/brown. If you’re not sure, they should be crispy to the touch.
Just look at that beautiful golden color! I’m more than happy with how they turned out. If you’re a turmeric-fan, I’m sure you will love these! These are not only great for dipping, they also make an ideal addition to soup or risotto.
Golden Turmeric Cracker
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3-1/2 cup water
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- In a mixing bowl add in the dry ingredients, whisk and then add in the olive oil and water bit by bit. Mix and knead with your hands until it's a smooth dough. Add more flour if your dough is too sticky or add more water if it doesn't hold together.
- On a lightly floured parchment paper, roll out the dough as thin and even as possible.
- Cut the dough with a pizza cutter in large rectangles and then diagonally to create triangles. Carefully pull the parchment paper with the crackers onto a baking sheet.
- Bake the crackers in the oven for about 15-20 minutes* (until they get crispy and they get a slightly golden brown color on some). Let them cool off and enjoy!
If you give this Golden Turmeric Cracker recipe a try I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! Leave a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3