Oat milk is the cheapest, fastest, most versatile plant-based milk you can make! There is really no reason to ever buy store-bought milk again.
I have a new obsession. Oat Milk! I’ve been making it for a couple of weeks now (always making sure I have some in the fridge for overnight oats, or iced coffee lattes) and I don’t see me stopping anytime soon.
Here are 3 good reasons why oat milk is amazing (and the best plant-based milk ever!):
- It’s the cheapest milk you can make. I buy a box of rolled oats for 60 cents, therefore 1/2 cup of oats cost me 6 cents and that’s all you need for 1 liter of oat milk. 6 cent oat milk coming your way! This is insane!
- It’s super quick to make (no soaking required; as opposed for nut milk).
- It’s versatile! You can add cinnamon, dates, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, etc. for different kinds and flavors!
Bonus Tip: If you have a dog, roll the leftover oat pulp into balls and freeze. My puppy is crazy about these frozen oat treats! #zerowaste
I use this oat milk for overnight oats, smoothies, iced coffee lattes, pancakes, and all kinds of baked goods (cakes, cookies, etc.).
How to make oat milk at home
You will need:
- rolled oats
You will also need:
- a blender
- a nut milk bag (a nylon nut milk bag works best for super silky and smooth oat milk)
The basic steps
Step 1: Add rolled oats and water in your blender.
Step 2: Blend on high for about 1 minute.
Step 3: Pour the oat milk through a nut milk bag.
Step 4: Squeeze out excess milk.
Step 5: Fill the oat milk into glass bottles and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
More Plant-Based Milk you can make at home
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you enjoy this homemade oat milk as much as I do! And don’t forget to rate the recipe if you like it, this helps other users figure out if it is worth a try!
If you don’t want to miss out on any new recipes, subscribe to my newsletter, follow me on Instagram and Facebook!
2-Ingredient Homemade Oat Milk
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 4 cups water
- In your blender, add the rolled oats and water.
- Blend on high for approx. 1 minute.
- Pour the oat milk through a nut milk bag into a bowl.
- Now pour the milk into a glass bottle. You can use it immediately or enjoy it chilled!
Thursday 2nd of September 2021
Can i use instant oats?
Thursday 2nd of September 2021
absolutely! instant oats are just rolled thinner :)
Wednesday 23rd of October 2019
My family and I are totally in love with eco-friendly oat milk. We use it in smoothies, tea, and coffee almost every day. It’s so creamy and delicious. I often freeze the leftover milk in ice cube trays and then add it to smoothies and other drinks. The first two times I made it, I failed miserably. Milk turned out chalky. But then I really nailed it! Btw, have you ever tried a matcha latte made with oat milk? Tastes like heaven. Highly recommend everyone to give it a try. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us Bianca!
Wednesday 2nd of October 2019
Wow! I've never tried to make oat milk at home...But it's never too late to learn something new! The recipe seems to be very easy. Can't wait to try it! Thank you!