This is the easiest and quickest curry you’ll ever make: 15-Minute Vegan Chickpea Curry. You need chickpeas, tomato purée, coconut milk, and spices. That’s it! If you’re a fan of quick meals, you’re going to love this!
Whenever I don’t have a lot of time to cook or don’t feel like cooking at all, this Chickpea Curry is my go-to recipe.
Why? Because …
- it can be made in 15 minutes!
- you’ll only need 3 staple ingredients: canned chickpeas, tomato purée/passata, and coconut milk.
- it’s vegan & gluten-free.
- it’s a one-pot meal.
- curries are my comfort food #1. Makes me feel better no matter how difficult of a day it was.
This curry is a real crowd-pleaser! I prepared a huge batch of this curry for a party lately and people LOVED it and asked me for the recipe. So here it is!
The base of the sauce
The sauce for this quick chickpea curry is really easy to make and very versatile. I also like to use this base for a variety of different curries. Add veggies, potatoes or tofu instead of chickpeas and boom… whole different curry!
You’ll only need two main ingredients for the sauce: tomato purée and coconut milk. It makes the creamiest and easiest sauce ever. I just love the combination of these two main flavors. To that, we add salt, garam masala, and ginger powder. Feel free to add cayenne pepper too if you like it spicy. Aaand we’re done. Told ya, easy!
How to make a vegan chickpea curry
As always, you will find the whole recipe in the box below but I want to give you an overview of the ingredients and basic steps first.
The ingredients (and possible substitutions)
You will need:
- canned chickpeas (of course you can also use dried chickpeas if you soak and cook them first)
- tomato purée (I use store-bought tomato purée/passata (with salt, no additional herbs) for this recipe – it’s often canned or in cartons, not to confuse with tomato paste, which is thicker in consistency. You can also use crushed canned tomatoes instead.)
- full-fat coconut milk (alternatively you can use homemade cashew cream)
- yellow onion (red is fine also, or you can omit it)
- oil and spices (salt, garam masala, ginger powder)
The basic steps
More vegan curry recipes
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you enjoy this vegan Chickpea Curry as much as I do! Let me know if you give it a try!
15-Minute Chickpea Curry (Vegan)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 2 cups canned chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- 1 teaspoon garam masala + more to taste
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder + more to taste
- 1 1/4 cups tomato purée/passata (see notes)
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- In a large pot with canola oil over medium to high heat, add the chopped onion and chickpeas. Let it cook until the onion is translucent. Then add salt, garam masala, and ginger powder. Give it a quick mix and let it cook on high heat for 3-4 minutes. Stir to prevent it from burning.
- Reduce the heat to low and add in the tomato purée and coconut milk.
- Stir and let it cook for a few minutes until hot. This is the point where you can adjust the curry to your taste by adding more coconut milk, salt, spices, etc.
- Once the curry is hot and creamy, transfer it to a bowl, drizzle with a bit more coconut milk, garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with basmati rice and Indian flatbread.