I have a few go-to meals for when I’m alone at home (which isn’t actually too often, but since my boyfriend started working part-time, I have 2-3 lunches a week that I eat alone buhuu) and this vegan Sweet Potato Curry is one of them! A simple thai-inspired coconut milk curry is the perfect food for those I-don’t-know-what-to-cook days.
The pairing of sweet potato and broccoli is one of my favorite veggie-combos, I’ve also used this combination in my veggie pakoras. I love how easy coconut-milk based curries are, plus, you can usually add in pretty much any veggies you have at home. I try to keep it simple when I’m cooking for one, but somehow I always end up making way too much food..but who would eat a curry without rice and naan…
I’m terrible at cooking for one, so I always make 2 portions. Mhhhh but I don’t mind the leftovers! If you’re looking for more delicious curry recipes… Check out my 15 amazing vegan curry post!
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1½ cups sweet potato, cubed
- 1 (14 oz) can full-fat coconut milk
- salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 inch-piece of ginger, minced
- 3 small chilis (or less if yours are very hot!), de-seeded and minced
- finely sliced spring onions for sprinkling on top
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- vegan butter for brushing
- 1 cup basmati rice (or your favorite rice)
- 1½ cups water
- a pinch of salt
- Cook the rice on low to medium heat with 1½ cups of water. Add a pinch of salt.
- Wash and cut the broccoli. Peel and cube the sweet potato.
- In a small pot add water, cook the sweet potato and the broccoli for about 8 minutes.
- In a pan with a teaspoon of olive oil, add the minced ginger, diced red onion, minced chilis and sliced garlic when the oil is hot. Let it sautée for about 2 minutes.
- Add the drained sweet potato and broccoli. Leave it for about 4 minutes on medium high heat, turn down the heat to low.
- Add coconut milk and curry powder. Let it cook for about 10 minutes. Add the salt to taste.
- The curry is best served over some rice, with the garlic naan. Top with finely chopped spring onion. But you can of course mix up the side dishes!
- For the garlic flatbread, mix all the flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl, then add the oil and water and give it a mix until it's a soft dough. Roll it out, add the garlic slices on top, roll them into the dough. Prepare a very hot flat pan, add the garlic flatbread. Turn once there are bubbles on the surface and until it's nice golden brown. Brush with vegan butter before serving.
If you give this vegan Sweet Potato Curry a try I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! Leave a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3