This isn’t your typical authentic Indian Garlic Naan, but it’s easy to make and delicious! It’s the perfect bread to go with your favorite curry! It’s vegan, so no dairy and eggs! And you only need 6 basic ingredients!
If you know me, I love curries. And I always make some kind of flatbread whether it’s chapati or naan to go with it. A curry just isn’t the same without the bread!
Lately, I’ve been making this Indian Garlic Naan a lot because it’s really quick (10 min!) and easy. It’s made with baking powder so there’s no rising time (like it would be when we would have used yeast or bread starter – this is how it’s traditionally made). In authentic recipes, you would often find yogurt in the ingredients, but I’ve used water because I don’t always have soy yogurt at home.
You’ll only need 6 very basic ingredients for the bread:
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking spray (or oil for the pan)
If you’re not into garlic, you can leave it out or add sesame seeds or cilantro instead. Or even chillis if you like it spicy!
Told you it was basic! I bet you have all the ingredients at home right now! So what are you waiting for? Go make the bread and let me know what you think! Rate the recipe when you’ve tried it because it will help other users figure out if they should give it a try!
Serve this Indian Garlic Naan with
- Palak Tofu (or the quick and dirty version)
- Dal Makhani
- Falafel Curry
- Sweet Potato Curry
- Mango Chutney
See how fluffy it is! And I love the brown spots on the bubbly areas! I’ve sprinkled the bread with a bit more salt to finish it off.
I’ve served this naan with basmati rice and vegan butter chicken made with soy curls. It’s amazing!
Indian Garlic Naan (Vegan)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt + more to sprinkle on top
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 garlic cloves
- baking spray or a bit of oil for the pan
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Stir to combine. Add the water and knead with your hands (or use a kitchen aid) until it's a smooth dough. If it's too sticky, add more flour. If it's too crumbly add more water. Cover the bowl with a lid or kitchen towel and let the dough rest for a couple of minutes.
- Peel the garlic and cut it into thin slices.
- Divide the naan dough into two parts and roll it out on a floured surface. Press the garlic slices into the naans.
- Heat a flat pan (a crepe-pan works best) until really, really hot! Spray the pan with oil and add one naan with the garlic side up. It will get nice brown and bubbly, flip and let it cook on the other side as well. This won't take long. 1-2 minutes max per bread (depending on how hot the pan is). Repeat for the other naan. Sprinkle with salt and enjoy!
Estimated Nutrition Info
If you give this Indian Garlic Naan a try I’d love to hear how it went! Leave a comment, rate the recipe or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3