Easy Vegan Naan – if you’re into super fluffy flatbreads, then this is THE recipe for you! We’re using a yeasty dough that rises in the fridge overnight. You can keep it there for 3-4 days, so you’ll always have a dough ready to use for bubbly flatbreads!
I’m always on a mission for the fluffiest vegan naan bread. And I kind of feel like, it can’t get any fluffier than this. While I love my quick, yeast-free Garlic Naan recipe, if you have the time to prepare the dough a day before, you should definitely make this super fluffy yeasty naan!
It’s really easy to make. Just combine the ingredients for the dough, coat the dough ball in oil, and put the dough in a container in the fridge overnight. You can keep it there for 3-4 days, so you’ll always have the option to just break off a small chunk, roll it out and cook it in the pan for a super fresh flatbread.
You can use the flatbreads also for fluffy wraps or a pizza base! I may or may not have added mashed avocado on the flatbread for a quick breakfast.
I’ve sprinkled the naan with salt and cilantro and served it with one of my favorite (and most popular on the blog) curries: Falafel Curry (homemade falafel balls in a creamy tomato coconut milk sauce). If you haven’t tried this before, you should now!
How to make an Easy Vegan Naan
You will need:
- regular all-purpose wheat flour
- instant yeast
- olive oil
This is a super basic version for vegan naan. You can always work garlic slices, cilantro, sesame seeds, chili (or whatever you feel like) into the dough before adding it to the pan!
The basic steps
Step 1: Combine the dry ingredients. Then add the wet ingredients. Make a dough. Coat the dough in olive oil. Place it in a container. And let it rise in the fridge overnight.
Step 2: The next day, your dough should look like this. Break off a part of the dough. And roll it out on a floured surface.
Step 3: Heat a flat pan until very hot. Place the flatbread in the pan (without oil) and let it cook until you can see bubbles on the surface. While flipping the bread, add a bit of oil into the pan.
Step 4: Let it cook on the other side as well for 1-2 minutes max.
Serve it hot & fresh! :)
Serve the Naan with
- Falafel Curry
- Palak Tofu
- Dal Makhani
- Sweet Potato Curry
- or any of these 15 Amazing Vegan Curry Recipes
I hope you enjoy this Easy Vegan Naan as much as I do!
And don’t forget to rate the recipe if you like it, this helps other users figure out if it is worth a try!
Easy Vegan Naan
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour + more to dust the dough and surfaces
- 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil + more to coat the dough and for the pan
- 1/3 cup water
- Combine the flour, instant yeast, and salt in a mixing bowl. Add the olive oil and water. Mix and knead by hand until it's a soft, non-sticky dough or put all the ingredients in a kitchen machine and let the machine knead the dough for you. Adjust the dough: If it's too sticky, add more flour. If it's too crumbly, add more water.
- Coat the ball of dough in a drizzle of olive oil. Transfer the dough into a container and let it rise in the fridge overnight.
- The next day: Divide the naan dough into two parts and roll it out on a floured surface.
- Heat a flat pan (a crepe-pan works best) until really, really hot! Lay the first flatbread into the hot pan without oil until it's you can see bubbles on the bread. Then, for the second side, brush the pan with oil and let the other side of the bread cook for 1-2 minutes. Repeat for the other naan. Sprinkle with salt and enjoy!