Aloo Palak is an Indian Potato Spinach curry. There are different ways to make Aloo Palak. This is my creamy, non-traditional, vegan, and delicious version with baked potatoes!
Aloo palak is such a simple, yet utterly delicious meal. It’s a creamy spinach curry (Palak) with potato (Aloo).
Making a spinach curry is my favorite way to use up large amounts of spinach because I always buy big bags of spinach without an actual plan of what I want to do with it.
Also, dark leafy greens like spinach are important for skin, hair and bone health. And with this spinach curry, you’re giving your body a boost of nutrients like iron, calcium, folate, and magnesium.
This potato spinach curry is super quick to make. I like to bake the potatoes for crispiness and while they are baking in the oven, we’re making the spinach curry, which is also super easy and quick!
How to make Aloo Palak
You will need:
- baby potatoes
- lots (!) of spinach
- coconut milk
- ginger powder
- garam masala
The basic steps
Step 1: Wash baby potatoes. Pat them dry. Coat them in oil and add a pinch of salt. Bake them in the oven at 420°F/220°C for 15 to 20 minutes depending on the size.
Step 2: Cook all the spinach until it’s wilted.
Step 3: Reduce heat. Add the coconut milk, ginger powder, salt, and garam masala.
Step 4: Use a handheld blender to blend the spinach curry.
Step 5: Add one chopped tomato to the curry. Let it cook until it’s hot and until the tomato is soft.
Step 6: Now let’s add the baked potatoes to the spinach curry. A quick stir and it’s ready to serve.
Serve the Aloo Palak with …
More vegan curry recipes you will love
- 15+ Amazing Vegan Curry Recipes
- Palak Tofu ‘Paneer’
- Falafel Curry
- 15-Minute Chickpea Curry
- Coconut Curry with crispy tofu
- Sweet Potato Curry
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you will enjoy this vegan Aloo Palak Curry as much as I did! Let me know if you give it a try!
And don’t forget to rate the recipe if you like it, this helps other users figure out if it is worth a try!
Aloo Palak - Potato Spinach Curry
- 10 baby potatoes
- 1 teaspoon canola oil (or any other neutral plant-based oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Wash the baby potatoes and pat them dry. Then coat them in oil, add about 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Bake them at 420°F/220°C for about 15 to 20 minutes (depending on the size). Until they are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Meanwhile, let's make our spinach curry.
- In a large pan or pot, add the spinach and cook it until it wilted (you might have to work in 2 batches because it's a lot of spinach). Then reduce the heat and add the coconut milk, ginger powder, salt, and garam masala.
- Use a handheld blender to blend the spinach curry.
- Add the chopped tomato to the curry and let it cook (bring up the heat again) for another 3-4 minutes until hot and until the tomatoes are soft.
- Then add the baked potatoes to the spinach curry, give it a quick stir, and it's ready to serve! Basmati rice and homemade naan or chapati are THE perfect side dishes!