Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese with Kale – give your good old bolognese sauce a new healthy twist with kale! It’s quick & easy to make!
I’ve picked up a new hobby: farmers’ markets! I’ve been buying fresh produce exclusively directly from the farmers for about a month now and I love it! I’m more in touch with what’s in season and I love the freshness of the veggies and little conversations with the producers!
What inspired me for this change? A TED talk of course! Buying directly from the farmers supports them because they earn more than selling their veggies & fruits via regular supermarkets. It’s really a win-win situation.
Now, I’m kind of hesitant to say this but this is the first time I’ve bought kale. Ever. In my life. Kale isn’t usually something you can find in Austrian supermarkets, so it was easy to live without it. But there was a beautiful big bunch of kale at the farmers’ market, I had to buy it! And I was not disappointed!
So my first kale recipe on the blog is this Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese with Kale. It’s super quick to make. As a meat substitute and for texture, we’re using soy granule in the tomato sauce. You could also use grated carrots or mushrooms (chopped into very small pieces) instead.
I’ve washed the kale, removed the stem, chopped it up and cooked it down in my favorite vegan bolognese sauce. It’s such a great combo! You’ve got to try it!
You could also make a double batch of the sauce and make a Kale Lasagna with it! Just sayin’!
More delicious vegan Pasta Recipes
- 30+ Vegan Pasta Recipes
- Gluten-Free Mushroom Bolognese
- Quick Date Night Pasta with asparagus
- Easy Tomato Olive Pasta
- Avocado Basil Cream Pasta
- Mediterranean Pasta with Almond Feta
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! Let me know if you give it a try!
Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese with Kale
- 4 ounces spaghetti noodles (egg-free)
Vegan Bolognese Sauce with Kale
- 1/2 cup soy granule
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon canola oil or any plant-based oil
- 1/4 white onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups kale remove the stem; then chopped
- 1 1/2 cups tomato purée *
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Boil the pasta. Meanwhile, we're making the sauce.
- In a large pot, add the soy granule and 1/3 cup of water and let it cook on medium heat until the soy granule has soaked up all the water and is soft. Add the paprika powder and liquid smoke and give it a quick stir.
- Make some space in the middle of the pot and add in the oil, diced onion, and minced garlic. Let it cook until the onion is softened.
- Once the onion is soft, add the chopped kale, stir, let it cook for another 1-2 minutes, then lower the heat and add in the tomato purée, salt, dried oregano, and dried basil. Let it simmer on low heat until hot. You can add more salt to taste.
- By now the pasta should be done, drain it, divide the spaghetti onto plates, top with the vegan kale bolognese sauce, sprinkle with nutritional yeast and enjoy!
- Don't skip the spices. Soy granule doesn't taste like much on its own. So you want to add some spices. I love liquid smoke for a smoky flavor and paprika powder.
- Instead of soy granule, you could also use grated carrots or mushrooms.
- Onions and garlic add more flavor to the sauce. But if you're short on time, you could also use onion and garlic powder instead.