Delicious shredded jackfruit in a creamy tomato cashew sauce. Serve this vegan Jackfruit Curry with basmati rice and homemade naan!
Temperatures are going down, down, down and my cravings for hot, creamy, dreamy curries are going up, up, up!
Jackfruit is one of these totally underrated ingredients. Even I tend to forget how amazing it is. And I am talking about the young, green jackfruit that you can buy canned in brine or water. I am NOT talking about jackfruit in syrup, which is amazing in its own way but not in savory dishes.
You can buy young jackfruit in most Asian supermarkets, sometimes even in health food stores or regular supermarkets as it becomes more and more known that it’s a great alternative to meat. I mean, just look at it. Doesn’t it look like shredded chicken? Could have fooled me!
For this vegan Jackfruit Curry, I cooked the jackfruit with sliced onions, spices, and chili until slightly crispy, and then added diced tomatoes and homemade cashew cream. I just love how easy the sauce is.
The curry is absolutely delicious with basmati rice and fresh Naan. Here’s how it goes…
How to make a Jackfruit Curry
You will need:
- canned young jackfruit (in brine or in water; NOT in syrup!)
- yellow onion
- fresh chili (omit if you don’t like some spice)
- spices: salt, garam masala, ground ginger
- diced tomatoes
- cashew cream (or full-fat coconut milk)
The basic steps
As always, you can find the whole recipe in the box below but I want to share with you the most important steps with photos first.
More curry recipes…
- Vegan Palak Tofu Paneer
- Vegan Tempeh Curry
- Roasted Cauliflower Curry
- Vegan Fish Curry
- 15 Amazing Vegan Curry Recipes
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you enjoy this vegan Jackfruit Curry as much as I do! Let me know if you give it a try!
If you don’t want to miss out on new recipes, sign up for my weekly newsletter, join me on Instagram and Facebook.
Vegan Jackfruit Curry
- 1/2 can young jackfruit (in brine or water; NOT syrup)
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 yellow onion halved and sliced
- 1/4 fresh chili chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt more to taste
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup cashew cream
- Squeeze the jackfruit to remove excess brine.
- In a large pan over medium to high heat, add the oil, diced onions, and jackfruit. Once the jackfruit softens, you can shred it with a fork. Add the salt, garam masala, ground ginger, and fresh chili. Give it a quick stir and let it cook further until slightly crispy and brown.
- Reduce the heat, then add the diced tomatoes and cashew cream. Stir again and let it cook until it's hot and creamy.
- Serve the Jackfruit Cury with basmati rice and fresh naan!