This vegan and oil-free Vegetable Bolognese is easy and quick to make. Just place all the veggies in your food processor and pulse – no veggie chopping required!
I am easily influenced. Recently, I’ve watched a video about how bad oil is for our bodies and health and immediately jumped on the no-oil train. And the result was a super delicious, flavorful, extremely quick and easy to make Vegetable Bolognese, that is not only oil-free but also gluten-free (if you use GF pasta!).
The bolognese sauce is super versatile, not only can you add different veggies (pretty much whatever you have in your fridge) but you can serve the sauce with pasta, use it in lasagne, or as a dip for tortilla chips!
Don’t worry, though, I haven’t given up on oil completely. I love experimenting and will publish oil-free recipes from time to time, but not exclusively. I just love fried stuff too much ;)
How to make Vegetable Bolognese
You will need:
- spring onion
- cremini mushrooms
- tomato purée/passata
- dried oregano
- dried basil
The Basic Steps
Step 1: Add veggies to your food processor.
Step 2: Chop.
Step 3: Add veggies to the pan and let them cook on medium to high heat…
Step 4: …until there’s no more water in the pan and they slightly start to stick to the pan.
Step 5: Reduce the heat and add the tomato purée/passata, salt, oregano, and basil.
Serve over your favorite pasta! I used bowtie pasta. And sprinkle everything with Cashew Parmesan and add fresh oregano!
More Delicious Vegan Pasta Recipes
- 30+ Vegan Pasta Recipes
- Gluten-Free Mushroom Bolognese
- Quick Date Night Pasta with asparagus
- Easy Tomato Olive Pasta
- Avocado Basil Cream Pasta
- Mediterranean Pasta with Almond Feta
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! Let me know if you give it a try!
Oil-Free Vegetable Bolognese
- 2 carrots peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 spring onions cleaned and roughly chopped
- 4 cremini mushrooms cleaned and roughly chopped
- 1/2 zucchini washed and roughly chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup tomato purée / passata
- 2 cups bowtie pasta (use gluten-free pasta if you want!)
- Homemade Cashew Parmesan
- fresh oregano
- Add all the veggies to a food processor and chop until smallish. Add the chopped veggies to a large pan on medium to high heat and let them cook until there's no more water in the pan and the veggies are softened. This takes about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a pot until soft. Drain, strain and set aside.
- Reduce the heat and add the tomato purée/passata, salt, dried oregano, and dried basil. Add more herbs or spices to taste.
- Once the sauce is hot, it's ready to serve over your bowtie pasta. Top the pasta with cashew parmesan and fresh oregano.