Recipe for Thick Fluffy Tortillas, totally made from scratch. They are perfect for wraps and soft like a pillow. 6 ingredients only!
Ever since I’ve started making tortillas from scratch, I haven’t bought the ones from the stores anymore. The homemade version is such more satisfying and delicious, you won’t want to buy the store-bought tortillas either! And you can make them super thick and fluffy – tortilla pillow, anyone?!
My boyfriend loves them too and demands them on a regular basis. And I can’t resist because they are not that hard to make (they do need a bit of rising time though) and you can fill them with whatever you like e.g. veggies, fake-meats, avocado, salad, falafel or a mixture of all these.
Thick Fluffy Tortillas
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour + extra for dusting
- 1 2/3 cups spelt flour *
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup water
- In a mixing bowl add the dry ingredients first and give it a mix, pour in the oil and add the water little by little and knead by hand or use a stand mixer) the dough until smooth. Add more water if necessary – it should be a smooth, non-sticky dough.
- Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let it rest in a warm place for about 1-2 hours. The dough should double in size.
- Punch the dough down a bit, and cut it in 4 equal pieces.
- Form the pieces into balls and roll them out on a floured surface.
- Put one tortilla in a very hot (!) non-stick pan (a flat pan like a crepe-pan works best) and let it in there for a few seconds to a minute and then turn when the tortilla is getting bubbly on the surface. Repeat for the other tortillas.
- Keep the tortillas covered in a clean kitchen towel until using them to prevent them from getting dry and hard.