This vegan BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Wrap in fluffy, homemade tortillas and garlic sunflower seed sauce is just so good! And it looks just like pulled pork – crazy!
I’m 10 years vegan now and STILL amazed at how cool and authentic pulled jackfruit looks. One of my favorite things to make with jackfruit is this pulled jackfruit slathered in BBQ sauce in fluffy, homemade tortillas with salad, red cabbage, tomatoes and drizzled with my garlic sunflower seed dressing.
Of course, you could also use this BBQ Pulled Jackfruit in a burrito-style bowl, salads, or burgers.
The most important thing to look out for is that you buy the right kind of jackfruit (trust me, I’ve been there before). For this recipe (and all other ‘jackfruit as meat substitute’ recipes) you want to buy young, unripe jackfruit in brine (not syrup!). It’s canned and you can find it usually in Asia markets or health food stores. If you can’t find it locally, you can still order it online.
I also like to rinse and drain the jackfruit to remove most of the sour, tangy, salty taste of the brine.
And the BBQ sauce is also very important because it is responsible for most of the flavor. I would stay away from any BBQ sauce with too much sweetness (because jackfruit has a base sweetness already), so I always use the smokiest BBQ sauce I can find.
How to make BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Wrap
You will need:
- For the BBQ Pulled Jackfruit
- young jackfruit in brine (NOT syrup!)
- tomato paste
- paprika powder
- BBQ sauce (I prefer smoky BBQ sauce)
- Additional ingredients for the whole wrap
The basic steps
More Jackfruit Recipes
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you enjoy this BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Wrap as much as I do! Let me know if you give it a try!
BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Wrap
Ingredients for the Pulled BBQ Jackfruit
Ingredients for the Wrap
- 2 fluffy homemade tortillas (half the recipe)
- 1 cup salad mix
- 1/4 cup red cabbage shredded
- 4 mini tomatoes quartered
- 2 tablespoons Garlic Sunflower Seed Dressing
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley chopped
- Prepare the tortillas and the garlic sunflower seed dressing.
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit, remove the core of the jackfruit (harder triangular piece) for a better texture.
- Add the jackfruit into a pan, and add water, tomato paste, paprika powder, and salt. Give it a good mix. Let it cook with the lid on for about 10 minutes until the water has been absorbed.
- The jackfruit should be soft enough to just pull it apart with forks or use a spatula to press it down, it should break down rather easily.
- Add a bit of oil and let it pan-fry until slightly crispy, then add the BBQ sauce and give it a good mix. Let it cook for another minute or two.
- Add the BBQ Pulled Jackfruit into wraps with salad, red cabbage, and tomatoes. Drizzle everything with Garlic Sunflower Seed Dressing, and sprinkle with fresh parsley.