These vegan bacon bits are made using TVP (soy granule). You can enjoy them in tacos, burritos, salads, sprinkled over pasta, or sauerkraut, pretty much anything that needs that extra flavor and crunch!
These Vegan Bacon Bits are so good, easy to make, and flavorful. You can add them to all kinds of dishes to add more flavor and texture. Whenever I eat sauerkraut, I make a batch of these vegan bacon bits to go with it, because it’s such a good combination. It’s also great to add to salads, burritos/tacos/wraps, or use them as a meaty substitute in carbonara pasta.
You probably already know that I am a huge fan of TVP and soy granules because I am using it in lots of recipes. If you don’t know what TVP is, then check out this guide on TVP I’ve written a couple of months ago (it also includes all of my favorite TVP recipes!).
I love TVP because
- it can be stored at room temperature like forever,
- it is inexpensive,
- it expands when cooked, so it doesn’t need much space when storing it
- and it’s super versatile!
I’ve been using TVP and soy granules since 2012 when my vegan journey started. It’s very easy to make formerly meaty recipes vegan by using TVP. This works especially well for Spaghetti Bolognese, Lasagna, and Chili.
It has helped me a lot in the beginning, and I still enjoy using TVP because of the amazing texture and it soaks up flavors really well.
How to make Vegan Bacon Bits using TVP
You will need:
- soy granules / soy crumbs / TVP
- soy sauce
- paprika powder
- dried thyme
- liquid smoke
- plant-based, neutral oil such as canola oil or sunflower oil
The basic steps
This is how the TVP / soy granules look like that we are working with today. It is hydrated, so the first step is to rehydrate it and we’re doing this with water, spices, and herbs (to add more flavor!).
Serve it with…
More recipes with soy granules (TVP)
- Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese (TVP)
- Vegan Lahmacun – Turkish Pizza
- Vegan TVP Meatballs
- Soy Protein Vegan Burgers
- TVP – What is it? How to use it? +10 Recipes!
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you enjoy these versatile vegan bacon bits as much as I do! Let me know if you give them a try!
Vegan Bacon Bits
- Add all the ingredients (except the oil) into a large pan, and stir to combine. Bring it to high heat.
- Once the soy granule has soaked up the water, add one tablespoon of oil. Let it cook further, and stir every once in a while to prevent it from getting too dark.
- It will take about 10 to 15 minutes for the soy granule to get brown and crispy. You might have to add a bit more oil to achieve that. Then you can use the vegan bacon bits as taco 'meat', in salads, on pasta, or whatever you're craving!