Recipe for a vegan Goulash with smoked tofu and potatoes. It’s the perfect fall/winter food – very comforting and delicious. And it practically cooks itself!
The temperatures have been dropping significantly lately, which means fall is coming. And while I enjoyed this crazy-hot summer, I’m looking forward to all the delicious fall and winter veggies and dishes. Soups, stews, goulashes here I come!
Goulash is one of the national dishes of Hungary and is traditionally a stew of meat and vegetables, which are seasoned with paprika and other spices. The smoked tofu takes in this dish the role of the meat.
There is no strict recipe for the traditional “goulash” but there are many varieties and also many possibilities (why not add in some mushrooms or carrots next time?).
This is a recipe for a vegan Goulash with smoked tofu and potatoes. Somehow I always thought that I didn’t like smoked tofu – well, I tried it again and now I love it! I even snack on it plain and uncooked sometimes. Yummy!
Smoked Tofu is perfect for dishes like this goulash because the tofu is very firm, has a strong smoky taste, and goes well with saucy kinds of meals.
Goulash is one of these dishes that practically cook themselves – it doesn’t need constant monitoring which makes it a great meal when you don’t have a lot of time to spend on cooking.
Also, Goulash gets better with each time it’s reheated like chili! So you can cook a big batch and eat it for days.
How to make Vegan Goulash with Smoked Tofu & Potatoes
As always you will find the whole recipe with measurements in the box below but I want to give you an overview of the key ingredients, variations, and the process with step-by-step photos first.
You will need:
- smoked tofu
- garlic cloves
- tomato paste
- spices: LOTS of paprika powder, ground caraway, dried marjoram, salt
The amount of paprika powder in this recipe may seem excessive.. but there are really meant to be 5 tablespoons of paprika powder in there. Of course, if you think that too much or too intense, you can start with less and add more to taste.
The Basic Steps
Serve the goulash with…
More Vegan Goulash Recipes
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you enjoy this vegan Goulash with Smoked Tofu and Potatoes as much as I do! Let me know if you give it a try!
Vegan Goulash with smoked tofu & potatoes
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 7 medium-sized potatoes peeled and cut into cubes
- 8 oz smoked tofu cut into cubes
- 5 tablespoons mild paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon ground caraway
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Heat the canola oil in a big pot. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic and let them cook until translucent and soft.
- Then add the potato cubes and smoked tofu. Give it a good mix and let them cook until they are starting to brown a bit.
- Then add all the spices: paprika powder, ground caraway, salt, and dried marjoram. Give it a good mix and let it roast for another minute or two.
- Then add the water and tomato paste.
- Let it cook with the lid on for about 30 minutes on medium-high heat, then remove the lid and let it cook for another 10-15 minutes. If the goulash is getting too thick, you can add more water again until the potatoes are soft and the goulash has reached the preferred consistency.
- Then it's ready to serve with some dumplings or bread.