Golden Turmeric Naan – it’s the perfect flatbread for all your curries! The bright yellow color adds a lovely color splash onto your plate!
You know I love curries. And I always make some kind of flatbread whether it’s chapati or naan to go with it. A curry just isn’t the same without the flatbread!
Lately, I’ve been really impatient with making naans and I’ve been using baking powder instead of yeast (because there’s not rising time).
In authentic recipes, you would often find yogurt in the ingredients, but I’ve used water because I don’t always have soy yogurt at home. So keep in mind, that this recipe is everything but authentic. But it’s quick, easy, delicious, and the color is just plain beautiful!
How to make Golden Turmeric Naan
You’ll only need 7 very basic ingredients for the bread:
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- turmeric powder
- olive oil
- black sesame seeds
Told you it was basic! I bet you have all the ingredients at home right now! So what are you waiting for? Go make the bread and let me know what you think!
The basic steps
Step 1: Combine the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients. Stir to combine, then knead until a smooth dough forms. Add a drizzle of olive oil and cover the bowl for a couple of minutes.
Step 2: Roll out the flatbread, sprinkle black sesame seeds on top. Roll them into the dough a bit. Then heat a very hot pan and let the flatbread cook on both sides until bubbly and nicely golden. Done!
Adding turmeric to your naan not only makes it beautiful golden but also it is said that turmeric has the power to tame heartburn or an upset stomach, prevent heart attacks, delay diabetes, fight cancer, protect the brain, and curb joint pain.
Serve this Golden Turmeric Naan with
- 15+ Amazing Vegan Curry Recipes
- Falafel Curry
- Palak Tofu (or the quick and dirty version)
- Dal Makhani
- Sweet Potato Curry
- Mango Chutney
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you enjoy this Golden Turmeric Naan as much as I do!
And don’t forget to rate the recipe if you like it, this helps other users figure out if they are worth a try!
Golden Turmeric Naan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt + more to sprinkle on top
- 1/4 cup water
- olive oil for coating the dough
- 1/2 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- Add the flour, baking powder, turmeric powder, and salt into a bowl. Stir to combine. Add the water and knead with your hands (or use a kitchen aid) until it’s a smooth dough. If it’s too sticky, add more flour. If it’s too crumbly add more water. Coat the dough in a drizzle of olive oil, then cover the bowl with a lid or kitchen towel and let the dough rest for a couple of minutes.
- Divide the naan dough into two parts and roll it out on a clean surface. Sprinkle black sesame seeds on top and roll them into the dough.
- Heat a flat pan (a crepe-pan works best) until really, really hot! Add one naan into the pan and let it cook until it gets golden and bubbly, flip and let it cook on the other side as well. This won’t take long. 1-2 minutes max per bread (depending on how hot the pan is). Repeat for the other naan. Enjoy!