You don’t have to go to New York to eat delicious, fluffy NYC-style Everything Bagels! You can easily make them at home. I’m also sharing my favorite Everything Bagel Spice Mix!
I love making bready goods from scratch. I’m sure you know that if you have been on my blog for more than once second :) And Everything Bagels have been on my list for a very long time. I don’t know what took me so long. They are actually really easy to make! Who would have thought?!
These Everything Bagels are made with super simple ingredients. You probably have all the ingredients at home already!
Here’s what you need:
- instant yeast
- olive oil
- maple syrup (for the water bath)
- Everything Bagel Seasoning (I’m sharing my favorite mix below!) – no need to buy a premade one!
These bagels don’t contain eggs, milk, or honey (it is often used in the water bath or brushed on top). They taste just like the real deal!
Everything Bagels Seasoning Mix
There are a couple of Everything Bagel Seasoning Mixes you can buy, but I prefer to create my own! For this seasoning mix I used:
- black sesame seeds
- white sesame seeds
- pretzel salt
Feel free to add your favorite seeds to the mix or of course omit seeds if you don’t have them at hand. You could also add flax seeds, whole cumin, garlic powder,…
For the bagel dough, I’ve used my Basic White Bread recipe, which is my go-to base for pretty much all kinds of bread! After that, it’s merely just a piece of cake. To make the iconic bagel form, I’ve simply made a small hole with my fingers and widened it. Super easy!
Then you just have to cook the bagels in a water bath for a few minutes. In this water bath, I’ve added maple syrup. This gives it a nicer color, a subtle sweet coating, and helps the seeds to stick to the bread. Then sprinkle with the Everything Bagel Seasoning Mix and bake.
Serve them with…
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you will enjoy these bagels as much as I did! Let me know if you give them a try!
And don’t forget to rate the recipe if you like it, this helps other users.
If you don’t want to miss out on any new recipes, subscribe to my newsletter, follow me on Instagram and Facebook!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour + more to dust the dough and surfaces
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
Everything Bagel Seasoning Mix
- 2 teaspoons white sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon pretzel salt
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- Combine the flour, instant yeast, and salt in a mixing bowl. Add olive oil and water. Mix and knead by hand until a soft dough forms or put all the ingredients kitchen machine and let the machine knead the dough for you. If it’s too sticky, you want to add more flour until the dough is non-sticky. If it’s too crumbly, add a splash of water.
- Let the dough rest, covered with a clean kitchen towel, in a warm spot until it doubles in size (about 2 hours – depending on the room temperature!).
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Make smooth balls by pinching down the sides and press the ball a bit flatter. In the middle, press down with two fingers and widen the hole to create the typical bagel shape.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Bring the water for the water bath to a boil in a medium pot. Add the maple syrup.
- Cook each bagel in the water bath for about 1-2 minutes. Transfer them onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the Everything Bagel Seasoning Mix on top of each bagel.
- Bake them in the oven for about 25 minutes until golden.
Thursday 18th of June 2020
Excellent recipe! My dad hasn't been able to go to his favorite bagel shop for 3 months due to covid-19, so I made him a batch of your everything bagels for his birthday breakfast and he was thrilled! Everyone loved the bagels! Thank you for this easy recipe, I'll be making it over and over! BTW I used active dry yeast because I didn't have instant and it worked fine. The only change I made was to let the yeast bloom in the water for 10 minutes before adding it to the flour.
Sunday 19th of April 2020
they turned out perfect! my first try at making bagels. will def use this recipe every time :)
Tuesday 7th of April 2020
Amazing. Love that there was not sweetener in the dough. Simple and delish. Good thing it is only 4 bagels as we eat them all... I did use 100% Spelt Flour and they were tender and airy on the inside and nice and lightly crunchy on the outside. A winner for sure. Thank you.
Thursday 2nd of April 2020
Hello! Can I use Gluten Free flour for these?
Wednesday 8th of April 2020
I wouldn't just sub the flour for gf flour as it acts differently. It's better to just look up a recipe for gf bagels ;)
Saturday 28th of March 2020
Really excited to try this recipe!!!