You can make delicious vegan Smoked Salmon out of carrots! Everything Bagel + Vegan Cream Cheese + Carrot Lox = HEAVEN!
I love, love, love creating vegan fish recipes because it’s easy to blow peoples’ minds when you tell them that you use banana flowers, artichokes, tofu, chickpeas, and now even carrots to make ‘fishy’ meals!
Carrots, shaved into carrot ribbons, are perfect for Vegan Smoked Salmon, also known as Carrot Lox. And I have to tell you, I don’t think there are many things better than homemade Everything Bagels, Almond Cream Cheese, this Carrot Lox and topped with fresh dill and cracked pepper. So I am really excited to share this recipe with you!
There are a lot of different ways to make Carrot Lox:
- bake the carrots in a salt-crust, then cut into stripes and pickle them (takes forever)
- cut carrots into ribbons and just pickle them (carrots could be softer)
- cut carrots into ribbons and steam them, then pickle them (I feel like steaming them hinders them from soaking up more of the flavor later)
- cut carrots into ribbons, add them to the boiling pickling liquid and pickle them (< This is the version I liked the best!)
It’s the ideal mix of making the carrots soft, getting that flavor in, and also it doesn’t take too much time. I always try to keep my recipes simple (when it comes to the ingredients as well as the preparation).
How to make Carrot Lox
You will need:
- carrots – use large carrots! they are easier to shave into carrot ribbons with the veggie peeler
- rice vinegar – apple cider vinegar or coconut vinegar will also work
- liquid smoke – adds that smoky flavor
- soy sauce – or tamari for a gf version
- lemon juice
- fresh dill
- nori flakes – add nori sheets into a blender or food processor to make nori flakes. I always have a batch at home because I like to sprinkle the flakes on top of my sushi bowls. You could also cut up a nori sheet or rip it.
The basic steps
Serve it with..
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you will enjoy this vegan Smoked Salmon aka Carrot Lox as much as I did! Let me know if you give them a try!
And don’t forget to rate the recipe if you like it, this helps other users.
Vegan Smoked Salmon (Carrot Lox)
- Using a veggie peeler, shave the carrots into carrot ribbons.
- In a small pot, add the rice vinegar, water, liquid smoke, soy sauce, lemon juice, and salt. Bring it to a boil. Add the carrot ribbons. Let them cook for 10-15 minutes until they are very soft.
- Prepare a pickling jar, add fresh dill, capers, the carrot ribbons with the hot pickling liquid as well as nori flakes.
- Let it cool off for a bit, then place it in the fridge and let the carrot ribbons soak up the flavor at least overnight.
- The next day, you can enjoy it with e.g. bagels and vegan cream cheese!