Easy recipe for Heart-Shaped Churros coated in Strawberry Sugar and served with chocolate sauce. No dairy, no eggs, cruelty-free and vegan! It’s the *sweetest* way to show how much you like your loved ones. Perfect for Mother’s Day, Valentine’s Day or any day of the year!
Churros are one of my guilty-pleasure-treats. I can never go by a churro stand without getting some (if they are vegan, of course!). This was the first time I made churros at home and they turned out absolutely perfect. So I’m sharing the recipe with you!
These churros are:
- vegan and therefore without eggs or dairy
- soft on the inside, crispy and golden on the outside
- heart-shaped (perfect for Valentine’s Day and Mother’s Day!)
- fried – like they should be. I don’t think baked churros would be the same.
- coated with Strawberry Sugar (that gives them a fruity vibe which I adore). The alternative: Mix 3 tablespoons of sugar with 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder for a more classic sugar cinnamon coating.
- served with chocolate sauce (the classic!). The alternative: Caramel Sauce.
Although they take a while to make, there’s really not much to it. For the churro dough, heat all the ingredients except the flour in a pot, then add the flour and stir until you end up with a smooth dough. Let that cool off and pipe it into the traditional form (either heart-shaped or regular ropes). Then fry and coat with the sugar. Serve the churros with a chocolate sauce and enjoy the heck out of it.
How to make churros?
Traditionally, churros are made using a Churrera. But not many of us have a churrera at home, so a pastry bag with a star tip is the next best thing for homemade churros. If you plan on making churros more often, you can also look into churro makers on Amazon.
What can I do if my churros are raw inside?
If the churros are golden brown outside, but raw inside, then the oil is too hot. Reduce the heat, this will allow them to fry longer in the oil and therefore give them enough time to cook all the way through.
How to store churros? How long will churros last?
Churros are always the best when fresh and warm. Churros will keep for 2-3 days at room temperature, reheat them in the oven to warm them up again. If you have leftovers you can let them cool off completely and freeze them in a ziplock bag, then thaw and bake them in the oven for a few minutes to reheat.
Heart-Shaped Churros coated with Strawberry Sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon white sugar (make sure it's vegan!)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- frying oil
- In a pot, heat the water, sugar, salt and coconut oil until the sugar has dissolved. Take the pot off the heat and add in the flour. Stir to combine. Let it cool down until cold enough to touch.
- Fill the churro dough into a pastry bag with a star tip. Pipe 5"-ropes onto a parchment paper and combine two ropes for each heart.
- Heat the frying oil in a pot (just enough so that the churros can swim; make sure there's enough room in the pot to prevent it from spilling over). And carefully add the churro hearts (work in batches). Let them fry for about 3-4 minutes until golden and crispy. Transfer the hearts onto a paper towel to remove excess oil. (It's best to try a churro heart if they are cooked all the way through, if they are raw inside then the oil is too hot. Reduce the heat.)
- For the strawberry sugar coating, combine the sugar and powdered strawberries on a deep plate. Coat the churros with the strawberry sugar.
- For the chocolate sauce, heat the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a double boiler until melted. Serve with the churros!