Recipe for a vegan Kartoffelkäse (Potato Cheese Spread), which is a traditional Austrian/Bavarian Spread. Easy to make & great with fresh bread!
Kartoffelkäse, which translates to Potato Cheese, is a traditional Austrian/Bavarian Spread. It doesn’t contain any cheese but it’s called like that due to its creamy consistency and milky taste. The spread is easy to make and really good – trust me on this one. It’s delicious for brunch with some Homemade Basic White Bread or lye pretzels.
If you don’t like raw onions at all, you can always cook them a bit in the pan before adding them to the cheese to make the flavor softer.
I’ve used a vegan sour cream from a local brand (Joya), but Follow Your Heart has one too! This recipe is as Austrian as it can get – a fluffy potato cheese spread.
Kartoffelkäse (Potato Cheese Spread)
- 3 large potatoes floury potatoes work best
- 1 cup vegan sour cream Follow Your Heart, Joya,...
- 1/4 medium onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ground pepper
- fresh chives to top
- Wash the potatoes. (You can remove the skin if you want to, but you don't have to)
- Cook the potatoes until soft.
- Meanwhile finely dice the onion.
- Transfer the cooked potatoes into a bowl and mash them with a potato masher. (I like it chunky, but feel free to mash it long enough until no bigger pieces are left)
- Mix in the sour cream, onion, and spices. Stir.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with chives and enjoy.