Recipe for a vegan BBQ Couscous Bowl with curried couscous, broccoli, crispy tofu and BBQ sauce. It’s the perfect protein-rich lunch.
Yeay to vegan bowls! Especially when they’re filled with curried couscous, broccoli, crispy tofu and BBQ sauce. This is such an easy lunch, but rich in protein and very delicious. Broccoli is one of my fav veggies everrrr, so I couldn’t miss that one in the recipe.
It’s also a great lunch to take to work/school/university and you can mix and match the veggies. If you’re looking for more dishes, that you can take to work/school/university, you might want to have a look at the Mediterranean Couscous, German Noodle Salad, Simple Onion Couscous, Deconstructed Sushi Bowl, Healthy & Vegan Carrot Rice & Enoki California Roll.
You can use either store-bought or homemade BBQ sauce (just make sure it’s vegan).
BBQ Couscous Bowl
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder , divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup couscous
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil , divided
- 1/2 broccoli
- 6 slices firm tofu
- vegan BBQ Sauce
- Heat the water for the couscous in a large pot, add 1/4 teaspoon curry powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the lime juice.
- Wash the broccoli and cut it in small florets.
- Once the water for the couscous is boiling, take the pot off the stovetop and add in the couscous and put the lid back on (the couscous will be ready in a minute or two).
- Heat a large pan with 1/2 teaspoon canola oil and add the broccoli florets. Put the lid on and let the broccoli cook on medium heat for a couple of minutes until the broccoli softens.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork, add in the softened broccoli and give it a good mix.
- Cut the tofu slices in triangles.
- Add 1 teaspoon of canola oil in the large pan, add 1/4 teaspoon curry powder and salt to taste and tilt the pan so the bottom is covered with spiced oil. Place in the tofu triangles and let it pan-fry for about 5 minutes on high heat on each side.
- Once the tofu is crispy you can start dividing the couscous and broccoli on two plates and place the tofu triangles on top & drizzle with your favorite BBQ sauce.
Should you decide to give this delicious couscous dish a try I’d love to hear how it went! Write me a comment or post a picture on instagram and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^
Wednesday 20th of June 2018
I've just made this and it was SOOOOO good. Thank you for sharing.
Thursday 21st of June 2018
I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Sally! :)
Tuesday 8th of May 2018
What’s the deal with the lime? Where does it enter the picture?
Tuesday 8th of May 2018
Ah good catch! I've updated the recipe. The lime juice goes into the couscous water (step 1).
Thursday 2nd of February 2017
Bianca, I just made this for dinner. I am bursting at the seams because I ate soooo much. I couldn't stop myself - it was so dang good! I think I might always make my tofu with curry powder from here until eternity. Seriously, one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten.
Friday 30th of August 2019
Friday 3rd of February 2017
Awww, Jenn! I'm so glad you liked it!! :) I feel like over-eating is the story of my life.. hahaha.
Natalie | Feasting on Fruit
Wednesday 28th of December 2016
I love the sweet-savoriness of BBQ anything, and simple bowls = the best meals! Also broccoli is possibly my favorite veggie too, it somehow sneaks into 80% of my dinners hehe. So basically this whole bowl looks perfect and I want to steal it and devour it right about now :D
Tuesday 3rd of January 2017
Oh thank you so much, Natalie. I think 2017 will be my year of the bowl. Gotta go back to simpler, healthier recipes. :)