This Simple Onion Couscous is the perfect side dish to bring to BBQs and potlucks! Everyone will love it! And it takes only a few minutes to make.
This simple Onion Couscous is my favorite side dish to bring to BBQs and potlucks! Thanks to the onion and parsley it is super flavorful and goes great with veggie sausages & patties, burgers, grilled veggies, and literally anything you can throw on a grill. Whenever we are having a BBQ I bring this dish and everyone loved it so far! It’s delicious either warm or cold.
You can make this dish in only a couple of minutes – so it’s the ideal choice if there is a spontaneous BBQ coming up and you’re still undecided about what to bring.
You’ll only need a couple of basic ingredients: Couscous, onions, parsley, and lemon juice! I usually have these ingredients at home all the time so I always have something to bring when I’m going grilling with friends.
It’s also a neat side dish for the summer – add some fresh roasted veggies, avocado, tofu, or tempeh to it and you’ll have a quick and easy lunch! It’s a great base for all kinds of summer-y bowls.
How to make this Simple Onion Couscous
As always, you will find the whole recipe in the box below but I want to give you an overview of the ingredients and basic steps first.
The ingredients & possible substitutions
You will need:
- lemon juice (or lime juice)
- fresh parsley (you can also add cilantro if you want to pursue a different flavor direction)
- oil & salt
The basic steps
Serve it with…
- Seitan Chicken Nuggets
- Vegan Date-Sweetened BBQ Sauce
- Spicy Cauliflower Wings
- Vegan Steak with Herb Butter and Roasted Potatoes
- Homemade Vegan Sausages
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you will enjoy this couscous with caramelized onions and parsley as much as I do! Let me know if you give it a try!
And don’t forget to rate the recipe if you like it, this helps other users figure out if it’s worth making!
Simple Onion Couscous
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon canola oil (or olive, sunflower, rapeseed oil)
- 2 yellow onions
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped
- In a large pot, add the water, lemon juice, and salt. Bring it to a boil.
- Take the pot off the stovetop and add the couscous and put the lid back on. Let it soak for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the onions, cut them in half, and slice them into half-rings. Chop the parsley.
- Heat a large pan with the canola oil and place the onion rings in there. Cook them on medium-high heat while stirring constantly, and keep them on the heat until they're soft and get a nice golden color.
- To the couscous, add the onions and chopped parsley. Give it a good mix. Serve either warm or cold!