Recipe for a Simple Onion Couscous – it’s the perfect side dish to bring to BBQs and Potlucks! Everyone will love it. Only takes a few minutes to make!
This simple Onion Couscous is my favorite side dish to bring to BBQs and Potlucks! It’s super delicious and goes great with veggie sausages & patties, burger, grilled veggies. Whenever we are grilling in the summer I bring this dish and everyone so far loved it! It’s delicious warm & cold.
You can make this dish in only a couple of minutes – so it’s the ideal choice if there is spontaneous BBQ coming up and you’re still undecided what to bring. It uses very basic ingredients: Couscous, onions, parsley and lime! I have these ingredients at home all the time so I always have something to bring when I’m going grilling with friends. It’s also a neat side dish for the summer – add some fresh roasted veggies, tofu or tempeh to it and you’ll have a quick and easy lunch!
Simple Onion Couscous
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup couscous
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 4 small onions
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- a bunch parsley
- a few splashes soy sauce
- Heat the water for the couscous in a large pot, add in the lime juice and salt.
- Once the water is boiling, take the pot off the stovetop and add in the couscous and put the lid back on (the couscous will be ready in a minute or two).
- Meanwhile peel the onions and cut them in rings & chop the parsley.
- Heat a large pan with the canola oil and place the onion rings in there. Cook them for a few minutes on medium-high heat while stirring constantly, season with the soy sauce, and keep them on the heat until they cook down and get a nice brown color.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork, add in the quick caramelized onions and chopped parsley and give it a good mix. Serve warm or cold!
Estimated Nutrition Info
Did you make this Simple Onion Couscous? Tag @elephantasticvegan on instagram and use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan. Don’t forget to subscribe to the Elephantastic Vegan Newsletter to see Reader Remake Features!