Recipe for a vegan Enoki California Roll – Inside-Out-Roll. With enoki mushrooms, avocado and marinated carrots. Easy & healthy!
I found cute little mushrooms at my local asian market and decided I had to take them. They looked like little white forests. They’re called Enoki, Enokitake or Enokidake and are often used in the East Asian Cuisine. Enoki are like other mushrooms high in vitamin B and good source of protein. I decided to make Enoki California Rolls with them. I’ve added marinated carrots and avocado and served the California Rolls or Inside-Out-Rolls with some Homemade Pickled Ginger. Healthy and delicious!
- Wash the rice to remove excess starch until the water stays clear.
- Cook the rice with the water on medium heat and add in the brown rice vinegar and salt.
- Transfer the rice to a bowl and let it cool off completely.
- Wash and cut the carrot in thin slices and marinate the slices in a teaspoon of hoisin sauce for an hour or two.
- When the rice has cooled down, cut a quarter of an avocado in 4 slices and peel off the skin.
- Cut the nori sheet in half.
- Place the nori sheet on a bamboo mat covered in plastic wrap.
- Cover the nori sheet with a thin layer of rice, sprinkle with black and white sesame seeds and turn it upside down.
- Now place 2 avocado slices, a few carrot slices and the enoki mushrooms (make them stick out a bit on the sides) on the lower 2/3 of the nori sheet and roll everything in.
- Cut the California Roll with a very sharp knife in 8 pieces.
When cutting the California Rolls into pieces, it helps when you clean the knife after every cut and keep it wet!
Did you make these vegan Enoki California Rolls? Tag @elephantasticvegan on instagram and use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan. Don’t forget to subscribe to the Elephantastic Vegan Newsletter to see Reader Remake Features!
If my instructions on how to roll California Rolls are too confusing (what they probably are, because I’m the worst in explaining things) you can watch this video alternatively: