If you’re in the mood for sushi, but not the rolling-the-sushi-part, then this vegan sushi bowl is perfect for you! Top the sushi rice with crispy tofu, avocado, veggies, pickled ginger, peanut sauce, and nori bits!
I love sushi, I really do, but rolling the sushi just requires a certain amount of patience that I do not have every day. That’s when this vegan sushi bowl comes in handy.
I’ve made the rice in an instant pot, breaded and pan-fried the tofu and the rest is just cutting the veggies and assembling everything.
I absolutely love how versatile this sushi bowl is. You can add different kinds of protein (soy chunks, tempeh, jackfruit, seitan); or use different veggies (steamed broccoli or edamame for example). You can also use vegan sriracha mayo or hoisin sauce, instead of the peanut butter.
The perfect condiment, of course, is pickled ginger. I had some homemade pickled ginger in the fridge, which I used.
A vegan sushi bowl is also a great dish to take to work, school or university (in this case just add a little bit of lemon juice on your avocados to prevent them from getting brown).
If you’re looking at the ingredients and thinking ‘holy moly, that’s a lot, nope, cannot do this’, bear with me. You will notice that most of the ingredients are regarding the tofu. I’ve been making this sushi bowl a lot and I’m quite picky when it comes to the perfect crispy tofu. This is why I am using three different kinds of textures for the tofu breading (flour, fine breadcrumbs and panko flakes/breadcrumbs). This is to ensure that the tofu is coated evenly and also adds a lovely crunch and texture to the breading. If you want to use only one kind, I’d suggest going for fine breadcrumbs.
How to make a Vegan Sushi Bowl
The basic steps
More Vegan Bowl Recipes
- Taco Bowl Salad with ‘Walnut Meat’
- Teriyaki Jackfruit Sushi Bowl
- BBQ Couscous Bowl with Tofu
- Sushi Bowl
- Green Power Bowl
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you enjoy this vegan sushi bowl as much as I do! Let me know if you give it a try!
Vegan Sushi Bowl
- 1 1/4 cup sushi rice
- 1 1/4 cup water *
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sushi seasoning vinegar
- 14 oz firm tofu cut into rectangles
- 1 tablespoons plant-based oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Sushi Rice: Wash the rice until the water stays relatively clear. Drain it. Cook the rice with the same amount of water in an instant pot with the white rice setting. Then transfer the rice into a large bowl, add the sushi seasoning vinegar, mix it, and let it cool off completely.
- Crispy Tofu: Whisk together the ingredients for the tofu coating in one bowl, in another bowl combine the ingredients for the tofu breading. Heat a large pan with oil to medium to high heat. Dip each tofu rectangle first into the tofu coating, then into the tofu breading, then place them into the pan and pan-fry them for 4-5 minutes on each side until crispy.
- Time to assemble! First, add a layer of sushi rice onto the plate, then top with the crispy tofu, avocado slices, carrots, cucumber, pickled ginger, peanut butter, sprinkle the nori bits on top and enjoy!