A vegan Deconstructed Sushi Bowl is a healthy meal, that’s also perfect to take to work or school. It’s easy and you can add in whatever you like!
I love eating Sushi but sometimes I just don’t have the patience or time of making it. So this Deconstructed Sushi Bowl is a suitable alternative to satisfy my Sushi cravings. The perfect condiment, of course, is pickled ginger. I had some homemade pickled ginger in the fridge so I used that one. It’s so good and without any nasty ingredients no one knows what they are all about! A Deconstructed Sushi Bowl is also a great dish to take to work, school or university (in this case just add a little bit of lemon juice on your avocados to prevent them from getting brown).
I’ve added some tofu, carrots, avocado, sesame seeds and nori sheet strips, but feel free to add in whatever you want (like cucumbers, tempeh, seitan, broccoli,…). I coated the tofu with some white rice flour so the whole bowl is gluten-free!
Deconstructed Sushi Bowl
- 1 cup white rice you can use sushi rice if you have it at home!
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon brown rice vinegar
- 1/2 block firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon rice flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken seasoning if you don't have one you can mix your own with paprika powder, salt, garlic powder and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 carrot
- 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce I used the flying goose brand
- nori sheet
- 1/2 avocado
- black and white sesame seeds
- canola oil for the pan
- First prepare the rice because it has to have time to cool down completely. Cook the rice according to its instructions with a teaspoon of salt and half a teaspoon of brown rice vinegar. After cooking the rice let it cool off (I've put mine on the balcony because it's soo coold :)
- Wash and cut a carrot and marinate it with a teaspoon of hoisin sauce.
- Meanwhile cut the firm tofu in slices then cut it in half, and then again across to make triangles.
- Combine the rice flour, chicken seasoning and curry powder in a mixing bowl and toss in the tofu triangles. Shake carefully, so the tofu is coated evenly.
- Heat enough oil in a pan to cover it. When hot, place the tofu triangles in there and pan-fry it on medium-high heat until crispy, turn them and let them get crispy on the other side as well.
- Cut a part of the nori sheet in super thin strips.
- Pit your avocado and slice it in very thin slices. Peel off the skin then.
- When everything's ready you can start assembling your Deconstructed Sushi Bowl.
- Place the rice on the base of the bowl, and top it with the avocado slices, the marinated carrot slices and tofu triangles! Sprinkle black and white sesame seeds on top and don't forget to serve it with some pickled ginger!
Estimated Nutrition Info
Did you make this Deconstructed Sushi Bowl? Tag @elephantasticvegan on instagram and use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan. Don’t forget to subscribe to the Elephantastic Vegan Newsletter to see Reader Remake Features!