Real bacon is high in cholesterol and saturated fats! This Vegan Tempeh Bacon is a much healthier plant-based alternative. It’s quick and easy and you can make it in the pan. The tempeh slices are smoky and crispy – perfect for breakfast with some tofu scramble or in wraps, burgers etc.!
I’ve never been a big fan of bacon before I went vegan, but I would never say no to these vegan Tempeh Slices. They are the perfect crispy and smoky plant-based alternative!
It took me long enough until I gave tempeh a try and I’m so glad I did because tempeh is amazing! It soaks up the marinade really well (much better than tofu), so it’s perfect for flavorful bacon!
Instead of baking the tempeh slices, we’re using the pan, which is much quicker. Quick and easy vegan bacon? Yes, please!
What is Tempeh?
Tempeh is like tofu a soy product. Through culturing and fermentation, whole soybeans are molded into a block. Tempeh is even higher in protein, dietary fiber, and vitamins than tofu thanks to the fermentation and use of whole soybeans. You can get tempeh in Asian stores (look in the refrigerated or freezer section).
The Ingredients for the Tempeh Bacon Marinade
The marinade is super easy to make! You only have to whisk together:
- Soy Sauce
- Sesame Oil
- Liquid Smoke
- Maple Syrup
- and Salt
The marinade is enough for 10 slices of tempeh. You can use it also to make Tofu Bacon or Coconut Bacon! It’s a great smoky marinade. You won’t need additional oil for the pan (it’s best to use a non-stick pan) because of the sesame oil in the marinade.
You can let the tempeh slices soak in the marinade directly in the pan (no need for another dish!). Once most of the marinade is soaked up, cook them in the pan until brown and crispy.
Serve the Vegan Tempeh Bacon …
- with tofu scramble for breakfast
- in a wrap filled with salad and veggies or tomatoes, cucumbers and Mediterranean tofu scramble
- in a burger
- on a salad
Vegan Tempeh Bacon
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, sesame oil, liquid smoke, maple syrup, and salt. Then pour it in a large enough pan that can hold all the tempeh slices.
- Add in the tempeh slices in a single layer. Let the tempeh soak in the marinade for 2-3 minutes, then flip the tempeh slices. Let them soak for another 2 minutes. Then bring the pan to medium to high heat.
- Cook the marinated tempeh slices for about 3-4 minutes (until lightly browned and crispy), then flip and let them cook on the other side for 2-3 minutes as well. Done! Check out the ideas on how to use them in the post!
Estimated Nutrition Info
Did you make this vegan Tempeh Bacon? Leave a comment and please rate the recipe for other users! If you post a photo on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3