Make your own vegetarian alternative to chicken nuggets with PUMPKIN! These vegan Pumpkin Nuggets are crispy on the outside and soft & creamy on the inside. Dip them in ranch sauce, have them with salad, in a wrap, or in a fall-inspired buddha bowl.
Fall is my favorite season. Spending more time at home, slowly transitioning from iced latte to tea, matching yellow rain coats with my dog, Brussels sprouts, and pumpkins!
These vegan Pumpkin Nuggets are little pumpkin bites coated in crispy panko flakes. Absolutely delicious!
What I love about these pumpkin nuggets is that
- they are soft and creamy on the inside and crispy on the outside
- they are easy to make: boil, coat, pan-fry, done.
- they are versatile. Combine them with salad, rice, potatoes, tacos, wraps, it will all taste good!
- they taste like junk food but are veggie-based!
And I have to warn you, these are quite addictive, I had a few days where I only ate these in different meals – with salad, rice or wedges, in pitas, in wraps or plain… there are just so many possibilities to integrate them into meals!
How to make Vegan Pumpkin Nuggets
You will need:
- a hokkaido pumpkin
- panko flakes (you can sub panko flakes for fine breadcrumbs and vice versa, but a combination of both is giving a better texture and is making sure they are nicely coated)
- fine breadcrumbs
- spices: salt, paprika powder, dried rosemary
- olive oil
For the seasoning, I used pretty much my go-to seasoning: salt, paprika, and dried rosemary. Because pumpkin and rosemary is such a good combo!
The basic steps
Uses for these vegan Pumpkin Nuggets are versatile. I’ve had them on a plate with white rice, salad, and pita bread, snacked them as they were or dipped in sauces, with wedges and Brussels sprouts, and stuffed them in pitas. They are so good for all kinds of meals!
Serve them with…
- Pan-Roasted Brussels Sprouts in Soy Sauce
- Potato Wedges with Za’atar
- Vegan Pumpkin Nugget Tacos
- Thick Fluffy Tortillas from scratch
More savory vegan pumpkin recipes
- 10+ Vegan Pumpkin Recipes to Try This Fall!
- Pumpkin Goulash with Bread Dumplings
- Vegan Pumpkin Basil Pinwheels
- Roasted Pumpkin Hummus
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you enjoy these vegan Pumpkin Nuggets as much as I do! Let me know if you give them a try!
Vegan Pumpkin Nuggets
- 1/2 hokkaido pumpkin (=2 cups/280g pumpkin chunks)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for the pan
Ingredients for the batter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for the breading
- 1/2 cup panko flakes *
- 1/2 cup fine breadcrumbs *
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Cut the pumpkin in half. Spoon out the seeds. Cut them into rings. Peel them using a veggie peeler. Then cut them into chunks.
- Boil the pumpkin in a pot with water until they get softer (approx. 10 minutes), they shouldn't be too mushy, though.
- Strain and drain the boiled pumpkin bites. Let them cool off.
- Mix the ingredients for the batter in one bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the ingredients for the breading.
- Dip them into the batter first, then toss them in the breadcrumbs until they are evenly coated.
- Heat a pan with olive oil, and pan-fry the pumpkin pieces over medium to high heat on each side until they are nicely golden brown. Let them cool off a bit before serving because they are HOT. :)