Mashed potatoes are amazing as they are, but this flavorful version with caramelized onions, garlic, and parsley is an easy way to bring your vegan mashed potatoes game to the next level!
Just in time for the holidays, I am sharing my favorite mashed potatoes recipe.
And while I love potatoes in all shapes and sizes (I am including a couple more potato recipes at the end of the post) and I’ve never said ‘no’ to mashed potatoes, this recipe makes mashed potatoes more flavorful than basic versions.
I am adding sautéed onion and garlic, which results in just the best mashed potatoes ever. If you don’t believe me. Make it!
Mashed potatoes are the perfect side dish for vegan fish sticks (like I did – with tartar sauce, of course!), or on more festive occasions with seitan steak, lentil loaf, portobello steaks, Brussels sprouts, and mushroom gravy.
How to make Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- potatoes – you will want to use starchy potatoes for making mashed potatoes! For example: Yukon Gold or Russets are a good choice!
- olive oil – for sautéeing the onion and garlic. Alternatively: any plant-based oil! I also have this canola oil with vegan butter aroma which is amazing for mashed potatoes or popcorn!
- onion – I recommend yellow onion, but you can also use a red one or shallots!
- garlic – adds flavor!
- fresh parsley
The basic steps
More Vegan Potato Recipes you’ll love:
- Aloo Palak – Potato Spinach Curry
- Potato Wedges with Za’atar
- Oven Baked Potato Slices
- Crispy Potato Twisters with an Avocado Coriander Dip
- Vegan Gnocchi From Scratch
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you enjoy this flavorful vegan mashed potatoes recipe as much as I do! Let me know if you give it a try!
Vegan Mashed Potatoes with onions and garlic
- 6 medium to large starchy potatoes (e.g. Russet, Yukon Gold)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- Peel and wash the potatoes. If they are large cut them in half to reduce the cooking time. Boil them in a large pot with water until soft. This will take about half an hour. You can also cook them in an instant pot at high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and mash them (using a potato masher) while they’re still hot.
- In a pan with olive oil, sauté chopped onion and garlic until soft. Then add it together with chopped parsley and salt to the mashed potatoes.
- Mix everything together. At this point, you can also add more salt to taste.
- And ready are your Vegan Mashed Potatoes with onion and garlic! Serve them with vegan fish sticks, portobello steaks, a lentil loaf, seitan roasts or whatever you feel like!