This vegan Seitan Steak is juicy and super easy to make! You can combine all the ingredients in a food processor – so no kneading required! By adding sparkling water and canned chickpeas to the mix, our seitan is softer than many of the tough seitan cutlets you can usually buy in stores. It goes perfectly with roasted potatoes and herb butter.
I’m absolutely in love with how these vegan Seitan Steaks turned out! I’ve been working on the perfect recipe for years and I think I’ve nailed it!
These Vegan Steaks are
- made without animal products
- much softer than the tough seitan cutlets you can buy in stores
- super easy to make (no kneading required!)
- perfect for grilling!
I’ve brushed the steaks with a simple herb butter and served them with roasted potatoes and BBQ sauce. This was the perfect combo!
Tricks for vegan Seitan Steaks that aren’t tough, spongy and rubbery… but juicy!
My #1 super secret ingredient for these seitan steaks that have just the right balance of soft and firm is sparkling water! It’s just a simple substitution with a huge effect. Trick #2 is to use canned chickpeas instead of chickpea flour. This makes the seitan steaks soft and juicy (even the next day or the day after!).
How to make Seitan Steaks
Step 1: Cook onion and garlic until slightly browning. Add fennel and cumin.
Step 2: Add all the ingredients in a food processor (except the vital wheat gluten): chickpeas, thyme, salt, tomato paste, smoked paprika, onion-garlic-mixture, soy sauce, and sparkling water. Pulse.
Step 3: Now add the vital wheat gluten. Pulse again.
Step 4: The seitan should come together in the food processor.
Step 5: Transfer the seitan onto a board and press it together until it’s a ball.
Step 6: Roll out the steaks. You can make 2 large ones or 4 smaller ones or anything in between!
Step 7: Steam the steaks for 20 minutes, flipping them once halfway through.
Step 8: For nice grill marks, cook the seitan for 1-2 minutes on high heat.
Enjoy! The steaks are AMAZING with homemade Herb Butter, Roasted Potatoes and BBQ Sauce. But of course, you can serve them with your favorite steak sides.
Ingredients for the Seitan Steak
- 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 large white onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sparkling water
- 3/4 cup vital wheat gluten
Ingredients for the Herb Butter Spread
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives finely cut
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley finely cut
- 1 pinch salt
Ingredients for the Roasted Potatoes
- 5 medium-sized potatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and more to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
Instructions for the Roasted Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 480°F/250°F.
- Peel (if necessary) and cut the potatoes into large chunks.
- Toss them in olive oil, sprinkle with salt and dried rosemary.
- Bake them in the oven until golden and crispy.
Instructions for the Herb Butter Spread
- Mash together the vegan butter, chives, parsley, and salt. Set aside in the fridge.
Instructions for the Seitan Steak
- In a large pan with canola oil, sautée the chopped onion and garlic cloves until soft. Add the cumin and fennel seeds. Let it cook further until the spices are toasted.
- In a food processor, add the chickpeas, onion-garlic-spices mixture, tomato paste, salt, thyme, smoked paprika, soy sauce, and sparkling water. Pulse until it’s saucy. Then add the vital wheat gluten and pulse again until it comes together in a ball.
- Prepare a large pot (filled with a couple of inches of water) with a steaming basket and bring the water to a boil.
- Divide the seitan into 2 equal pieces and roll them with a rolling pin until 1/2- inch thick (1-2 cm). Add the seitan filets into the steaming basket and let them steam for about 20 minutes, flipping them after 10 minutes.
- For perfect grill marks, cook the seitan steaks for just 1-2 minutes on each side in a grilling pan. They are delicious topped with the Herb Butter and served with a side of baked potatoes and BBQ sauce.
Did you make this vegan Steak? Leave a comment and please rate the recipe for other users! If you post a photo on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3