Welcome fall! Recipe for a vegan & gluten-free Butternut Squash Dip. Easy to make and delicious with some breadsticks, carrots or as a spread!
Heeeello and welcome, fall! I can’t believe it took me so long to jump on the pumpkin/squash train this year. We still had some pretty hot days, so I wasn’t in the pumpkin mood at all. But now I’m all for it! I bought a cute little butternut squash and turned it into a vegan & gluten-free Butternut Squash Dip.
The dip consists of only 6 ingredients and is made with a real butternut squash – no pumpkin puree (we don’t have that here, although I kind of wish we did, because it’s such a timesaver). Is there a butternut squash puree? If yes, you could use that one instead of the roasted butternut squash.
Spooning out the butternut squash flesh was the most difficult part, after that it’s easy peasy :) First I removed the seeds with a spoon and then I carved into the flesh with a knife carefully – without cutting into the outer skin. Then it was easier to spoon out.
Serve this dip for your next party, get-together or brunch! It is such a lovely, seasonal addition. Take a look at my other butternut squash recipe on the blog: Mediterranean Couscous in a butternut squash boat.
My boyfriend and I devoured this little piece of butternut squash deliciousness with breadsticks. It was so delicious! I love all kinds of finger food, party food & snacks, so this is a great addition! The dip would go great with these Cheesy Poppyseed Crackers or these Whole Wheat Seed Crackers.
Vegan & Gluten-free Butternut Squash Dip
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1/2 cup canned chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder , mild
- 4 tablespoons water
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Cut the butternut squash in two and remove the seeds. Carve into the flesh (without cutting through the Butternut Squash skin) and spoon it out (you should have about 1/2 cup of Butternut Squash flesh). Put it on a baking sheet, sprinkle it with a pinch of salt and drizzle it with the coconut oil. Let it bake for about 15-20 minutes until soft.
- Put the roasted butternut squash, the chickpeas, salt, curry powder and water in a food processor (or blender) and mix until fine. Try it and you might want to add more salt to taste.
- Transfer the dip back into the spooned out butternut squash for a pretty presentation and serve it with breadsticks, carrots, celery or crackers.
Estimated Nutrition Info
Should you decide to give this Butternut Squash Dip a try I’d love to hear how it went! Write me a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^