These vegan Crackers are easy to make at home – they come together in under 30 minutes. And they are topped with your favorite bagel topping: Everything!
These crackers are for the ones who can’t (or won’t) decide on a seedy component to top the crackers with, because, seriously, life’s too short for such decisions. So we’re going to use (inspired by the famous bagel topping) ALL THE SEEDS.
These crackers are not only easy to make, they also come together in just under 30 minutes – which makes them the perfect snack for spontaneous cravings or when people are coming over. Once you’ve got the basic steps for making these crackers, you can make any kind of crackers you could imagine. I’ve included my favorite cracker recipes at the end of the post. But now to these vegan Everything Crackers…
Everything Crackers Seasoning Mix
For the seasoning mix I used:
- black sesame seeds
- white sesame seeds
- flax seeds
- whole cumin
- pretzel salt
Feel free to add your favorite seeds into the mix or of course omit seeds if you don’t have them at hand.
How to keep the seeds on the crackers
Usually you would use an egg wash to keep the seeds sticking to the crackers, but we are of course not using any eggs (because gross!). We’re using a quick mix of water and maple syrup to brush the crackers with before baking, then we’re sprinkling the seeds on top and using a rolling pin to push them a bit further into the dough. That way all the seeds stay on the crackers. Success!
Tips for making the perfect crispy crackers
- The consistency of the dough: Flour, water, even altitude matter when making the dough, so it’s best to trust your instincts a bit when making the dough. Add water until you can make a smooth dough. If you’re not sure, it’s best to make it too wet than too dry, you can always work more flour into the dough while rolling out the crackers. A wetter dough is easier to roll out than one that is hard and crumbly.
- The cracker thickness: Roll out the dough as thin and as even as possible. This ensures even baking! If they are not thin enough, they will be rather chewy than crispy. The best way to do this is to roll out the dough on a lightly floured parchment paper, cut them, and then carefully pull the parchment paper with the crackers onto the baking sheet. It also helps if you take your time rolling out the dough..sometimes it looks like it doesn’t get any thinner. Then I walk away for one minute and come back..then the dough has relaxed a bit and can be rolled out easier and thinner.
- Rolling pin: A proper rolling pin helps a lot with rolling the dough evenly. It works best with a large rolling pin with rotating handles.
- Baking times: All ovens are different. Keep a close eye on them if you make them the first time. If a few of them start to puff up a bit, that’s a good sign! They should get slightly golden/brown. If you’re not sure, they should be crispy to the touch.
Vegan Everything Crackers
Basic Crackers Dough
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons black sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons white sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons poppyseeds
- 2 teaspoons flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon pretzel salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- In a mixing bowl combine flour and baking powder. Then add in the olive oil and water. Mix with a large wooden spoon until it comes together and knead with your hand until it's a smooth dough. Add more flour if the dough is too sticky. Add more water if it's too crumbly.
- On a lightly floured parchment paper, roll out the dough as thin and even as possible. Use more flour if you need to.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of water with the of maple syrup and brush the top of the crackers with it.
- Combine all the seeds and the pretzel salt for the Everything Topping in a bowl and sprinkle it on the cracker dough. Use the rolling pin to press the seeds into the dough a bit.
- Cut it with a pizza cutter length- and widthwise into individual crackers. Carefully pull the parchment paper with the crackers onto a baking sheet.
- Bake them in the oven for about 15 minutes until they get crispy. Let them cool off a bit before digging in. They're delicious with homemade hummus.
Did you make these vegan Everything Crackers? Tag @elephantasticvegan on instagram and use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see them :)
Friday 21st of August 2020
I just made these. They are awesome. the key really is to roll out the dough as thin as possible.
Natalie | Feasting on Fruit
Wednesday 11th of October 2017
And by everything crackers you mean I'm gonna want a ginormous bowl so i can dip them in EVERYTHING!! Right? ;) Love the maple syrup trick for stickiness, and I bet the subtly sweet flavor that comes with is delicious with the saltiness too!
Tuesday 17th of October 2017
Bahaha I like how you think! :D And yep, the maple syrup flavor goes sooo good with the pretzel salt in the seasoning. #snackgoals Lately I can't help but add everything seasoning to pretty much anything :D e.g. coating crispy tofu with it. It's way too good to just use it for bagels :)