When you can’t decide between Pretzel Knots and Garlic Knots and you end up making vegan Pretzel Garlic Knots – and you don’t regret it one bit…
Yep, this is the product of what happens when you have a craving for Pretzel Knots AND Garlic Knots. These soft and fluffy Pretzel Knots are perfect to serve at parties. Or you could slice them in half and use them as super flavorful and delicious buns for burgers?!
I’ve served these Pretzel Garlic Knots with my all-time favorite, go-to, easy vegan Nooch Cheese Sauce. If you had anything pretzel and cheesy, you know it’s one of these magical combinations!
The pretzel knots are really easy to fold together. Just make a knot – and remember: each one is unique and perfect as it is :)
To give the knots a pretzel coating, I’ve cooked them in a baking soda bath before baking. This adds not only the beautiful brown pretzel color (they’ll turn brown while baking), but also the typical pretzel taste! I’ve tried lots of different water to baking soda ratios and found that 1 1/2 tablespoons baking soda to 3 cups of water is ideal. If you use too much baking soda, the pretzel knots get very bitter.
After cooking them in the baking soda bath, I’ve also brushed them with a mix of olive oil, minced garlic, and dried oregano. You know.. just because.
Serving Suggestions for these Vegan Pretzel Garlic Knots
If pretzel and cheese is just up your alley, you’ll love my go-to vegan cheese sauce (made with nutritional yeast). It’s absolutely delicious!
If you want more of a pretzel pizza flavor profile – you want to dip these in this smoky and ‘meaty’ tomato dip.
A mustard-based sauce would be really good for pretzel-dipping too!
Vegan Pretzel Garlic Knots
- 2 cups all-purpose flour + more to dust the dough and surfaces
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch white sugar (make sure it's vegan!)
- 3/4 tablespoon olive oil + more to coat the dough
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon water
Baking Soda Bath
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 garlic clove - minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon pretzel salt
- Combine the flour, instant yeast, salt, and white sugar in a mixing bowl. Add olive oil and water. Mix and knead by hand until a soft dough forms or put all the ingredients kitchen machine and let the machine knead the dough for you. If it's too sticky, you might want to add a few tablespoons more flour until the dough is non-sticky.
- Drizzle the dough with more olive oil until coated. Let it sit, covered with a clean kitchen towel, in a warm spot until it doubles in size (about 2-3 hours - depending on the room temperature!).
- Divide the dough into 10 equal parts, roll each part into a rope (about 6 inches / 15cm). Make a knot (check out the 2nd image of the post for visual instructions) and repeat for the rest.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Bring the water for the baking soda bath to a boil in a medium pot. Add the baking soda.
- Cook each knot in the baking soda bath for about one minute. Transfer them onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Mix the minced garlic, olive oil and dried oregano for the garlic topping. Brush the mixture onto the top of the Pretzel Knots. Sprinkle with pretzel salt.
- Bake them in the oven for about 20 minutes until golden. They are absolutely delicious with my go-to vegan cheese sauce!
Estimated Nutrition Info
Did you make these vegan Pretzel Garlic Knots? Tag @elephantasticvegan on instagram and use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see them :)