Recipe for a vegan Mediterranean Couscous Butternut Squash Boat with a sour cream dip! Super healthy and delicious. It’s the perfect fall recipe!
My mother brought me a super cute smaller butternut squash and I had way to few pumpkins this saison so I was eager to try out something new. I wanted to make something really healthy, fresh and light; may I present: Mediterranean Couscous Butternut Squash Boat.
Although it takes about a 3/4 hour to bake the squash, it’s totally worth it! Even my boyfriend liked it and he was really, really skeptical about it at first :) I topped it off with a vegan sour cream sauce and some za’atar (an Eastern Mediterranean Spice Blend). Yummiiieeeh!
I think this Mediterranean Couscous Butternut Squash Boat was one of the most healthiest dishes I’ve ever eaten. Butternut Squash is great source of fibre, vitamin C, A & E, magnesium and potassium. So what’s not to love about this dish :)
Butternut Squash Boat
Ingredients for the Butternut Squash Boat
Ingredients for the sour cream dip
- 4 tablespoons vegan sour cream
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Cut the butternut squash in half and take out the seedy part and cut carefully, not too deep a grid into the flesh.
- Drizzle olive oil over it & a pinch of salt for each squash half.
- Place the squash on a baking sheet with the top side down and put it in the oven for about 45 minutes (depending on how big your squash is).
- When the squash is soft, turn it to have the top side on top and use a grill function (if you have that in your oven) and place it back again for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a large pot heat the water for the couscous with 1/2 teaspoon of salt, the curry powder & the za'atar.
- When the water boils, add in the couscous, put the lid on top and take it off the stovetop (the couscous will be ready in a minute or two).
- Make the sour cream dip by mixing all ingredients for the dip together.
- When the squash gets a nice color on top, add the couscous and the sour cream dip and ready is your super healthy and great looking Mediterranean Couscous Butternut Squash Boat!
Did you make this Mediterranean Couscous Butternut Squash Boat? Tag @elephantasticvegan on instagram and use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan. Don’t forget to subscribe to the Elephantastic Vegan Newsletter to see Reader Remake Features!