Have you ever made crackers at home? They are super easy to make! These ones are made with spelt flour and topped with chia seeds. So healthy!
Yes, another cracker recipe because you can never have too many of them!
This time they’re super healthy because I’ve used 100% spelt flour and topped them with chia seeds.
Chia seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, they are a great source of iron, magnesium, zinc, and calcium.
I served the spelt crackers with a butternut squash dip, but of course, you can use your favorite dips or just snack on them on their own.
They are also great for roadtrips! Just make sure you’re letting them cool off completely before storing them away in a glass jar at room temperature if want them to last a long time.
How to make Spelt Chia Crackers
You can find the whole recipe below. But to ensure the crackers are turning out perfectly, I want to give you an overview of the required ingredients and basic steps with step-by-step photos first.
The ingredients & possible substitutions
You will need:
- spelt flour (I am using wholemeal spelt flour; you can also use whole-wheat flour or regular AP flour for non-spelt crackers)
- baking powder
- maple syrup
- chia seeds
The basic steps
How to store crackers
If you let the crackers cool off completely and then store them in air-tight containers, they will stay crispy for days! That way you can also prepare them in advance if you’re having a party coming up!
Tips for making the perfect crispy crackers
- The consistency of the dough: Flour, water, even altitude matter when making the dough, so it’s best to trust your instincts a bit when making the dough. Add water until you can make a smooth dough. If you’re not sure, it’s best to make it too wet than too dry, you can always work more flour into the dough while rolling out the crackers. A wetter dough is easier to roll out than one that is hard and crumbly.
- The cracker thickness: Roll out the dough as thin and as even as possible. This ensures even baking! If they are not thin enough, they will be rather chewy than crispy. The best way to do this is to roll out the dough on a lightly floured parchment paper, cut them, and then carefully pull the parchment paper with the crackers onto the baking sheet. It also helps if you take your time rolling out the dough..sometimes it looks like it doesn’t get any thinner. Then I walk away for one minute and come back..then the dough has relaxed a bit and can be rolled out easier and thinner.
- Rolling pin: A proper rolling pin helps a lot with rolling the dough evenly. It works best with a large rolling pin with rotating handles.
- Baking times: All ovens are different. Keep a close eye on them if you make them the first time. If a few of them start to puff up a bit, that’s a good sign! They should get slightly golden/brown. If you’re not sure, they should be crispy to the touch.
Dips to serve them with…
More vegan Cracker Recipes
- Black and White Sesame Crackers
- Vegan Pizza Crackers
- Vegan Poppy Seed Crackers
- Vegan Spinach & Sesame Crackers
- 10+ Easy Vegan Cracker Recipes
Love it? Rate it!
I hope you will enjoy these Spelt Chia Crackers as much as I did!
And don’t forget to rate the recipe if you like it, this helps other users figure out if it is worth a try!
If you don’t want to miss out on any new recipes, subscribe to my newsletter, follow me on Instagram and Facebook!
Spelt Chia Crackers
Ingredients for the crackers
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup water
For the Chia Topping
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.
- In a bowl, add the spelt flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir.
- Add in the water. Use a wooden spoon to stir and combine. You can also use your hands to knead the dough until it comes together. Add more flour if your dough is too sticky or add more water if it is too dry.
- On lightly floured parchment paper, roll out the dough as thin and evenly as possible.
- In a small bowl, combine maple syrup, water, and salt for the chia topping. This acts as our glue. Brush the mixture onto the rolled-out cracker dough. Then sprinkle the chia seeds on top.
- Cut the dough with a pizza cutter length- and widthwise. Carefully pull the parchment paper with the crackers onto a baking tray.
- Bake the crackers in the oven for about 15-20 minutes (until they get crispy).
- Once they are crisp, you can break them into individual crackers. And enjoy!
Wednesday 5th of August 2020
I did what the receipe called for and they turned out too hard.Felt like I should go to the dentist after! What in the world did I do wrong or what could have happened? Help!
Monday 10th of August 2020
if the dough is rolled thin enough, they should be crispy and easy to break without losing a tooth! :D
Friday 8th of May 2020
Well these are super easy, fast, they came out thin and crispy, and were gone in a flash! I should’ve made more! This recipe is a keeper. It’s also easily varied with different spices in the dough, or other seeds on top. Thanks!
Friday 22nd of November 2019
Sorry. Have no idea why I said movie oops 😬 lol 😜
Friday 22nd of November 2019
I Made these crackers over the weekend and my Twin boys loved them! My daughter liked the movie buttt without chia seeds. She can be a bit picky! Thanks Bianca! ^_^
Sunday 27th of October 2019
So easy and so tasty; made these on a whim as had forgotten to buy crackers. Will not be buying crackers again! Thank you