Recipe for healthy & vegan Spelt Chia Crackers. They are super easy to make and the perfect TV snack or party food! Serve with an Avocado Dip for example.
Yeay! Another cracker recipe! This time they’re super healthy because I’ve used 100% spelt flour and topped them with chia seeds. Chia seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, they are a great source of iron, magnesium, zinc, calcium and many more vitamins. I dipped the crackers in my favorite avocado dip. I’ll include the recipe below! But you can also dip them in homemade hummus or cashew cheese. They’re the perfect healthy TV snack or great for parties too!
To see all crackers recipe on Elephantastic Vegan, click here.
Tips for making the perfect crispy crackers
- The consistency of the dough: Flour, water, even altitude matter when making the dough, so it’s best to trust your instincts a bit when making the dough. Add water until you can make a smooth dough. If you’re not sure, it’s best to make it too wet than too dry, you can always work more flour into the dough while rolling out the crackers. A wetter dough is easier to roll out than one that is hard and crumbly.
- The cracker thickness: Roll out the dough as thin and as even as possible. This ensures even baking! If they are not thin enough, they will be rather chewy than crispy. The best way to do this is to roll out the dough on a lightly floured parchment paper, cut them, and then carefully pull the parchment paper with the crackers onto the baking sheet. It also helps if you take your time rolling out the dough..sometimes it looks like it doesn’t get any thinner. Then I walk away for one minute and come back..then the dough has relaxed a bit and can be rolled out easier and thinner.
- Rolling pin: A proper rolling pin helps a lot with rolling the dough evenly. It works best with a large rolling pin with rotating handles.
- Baking times: All ovens are different. Keep a close eye on them if you make them the first time. If a few of them start to puff up a bit, that’s a good sign! They should get slightly golden/brown. If you’re not sure, they should be crispy to the touch.
This is how the dough should look like – one smooth dough – not sticky. If it is too sticky – add more flour, if you can’t form a dough with it because it does not stick together – use more water.
Roll the dough out super thinly and try to roll it out as even as possible. Otherwise it won’t bake evenly in the oven and you have some crispy and some not so crispy crackers.
Sprinkle the chia seeds over the dough and roll it again. They should get pretty deep into the dough, otherwise they might fall off after baking. Cutting the crackers with a pizza cutter is the fastest method.
Healthy & Vegan Spelt Chia Crackers
Ingredients for the crackers
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons water
Ingredients for the avocado dip
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- In a mixing bowl add in the dry ingredients (except the chia seeds), whisk and then add in the water and coconut oil. Mix and knead with your hands until it's a smooth dough. Add more flour if your dough is too sticky or add more water if it doesn't hold together.
- On a lightly floured parchment paper, roll out the dough as thin and even as possible.
- Sprinkle the chia seeds over the dough and roll them in until they're pretty deep into the dough.
- Cut the dough with a pizza cutter length- and widthwise. Carefully pull the parchment paper with the crackers onto a baking sheet.
- Bake the crackers in the oven for about 15-20 minutes (until they get crispy).
Directions for the avocado dip
- Peel and pit the avocado, put the avocado flesh in a food processor. Add the salt & lime juice & ground pepper and cilantro. Let it chop until fine. Add more salt & lime juice to taste.
Estimated Nutrition Info
Should you decide to give these healthy Spelt Chia Cracker recipe a try I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! Leave a comment or post a picture on instagram, use the hashtag #elephantasticvegan and tag me via @elephantasticvegan to make sure I’ll see it ^.^ I love to see all your lovely creations! Thanks! <3